Seven

Another day at school and the anxiety was rising in Taesan's chest. People still continued to stare, but at least this time he had expected it. Maybe he should have started dressing like them, but he didn't know how they would even feel about that and whether they wouldn't take that as another reason to stare at him. Besides, he personally thought an all-black outfit drew the least attention.

Taesan was sitting in the classroom as he waited for the teacher, keeping his eyes focused on a book as he had planned to be doing every single day.

He saw a shadow cast on his book, proving that someone was standing next to him.

Taesan looked up from his book and met the eyes of Riwoo and Leehan. They didn't look like they were in particularly good moods that morning.

'Hi,' Taesan said awkwardly after noticing that they hadn't said anything to him yet.

'Hey,' Leehan replied. 'You know that Amy-Janett is the prettiest girl in this town right?'

'Um...' Taesan gave a confused look. What did that have to do with him? And why were they telling him? Of course, he had noticed that Amy-Janett had an impeccable beauty as compared to the other girls in the small town, but he didn't know what to say. 'Maybe.'

'I'm glad you know that.' He added to Taesan's answer.

'I don't get it.'

Before the two could explain anything, if they were going to explain at all, Jaehyun walked in with his books and started to walk towards his desk.

As if by some reverence, the boys quickly moved away from Taesan's seat and walked over to Jaehyun. They started conversing soon enough, as if they hadn't been at Taesan's desk a few moments ago.

Taesan was still thinking about what the boys meant. He watched as Amy-Janett walked in through the door with her light blue backpack and some books in her hands. She was so pretty, but of course Taesan had seen a lot of beautiful girls in the city that although her beauty was so rare and exceptional in Green Haven, it was not as rare in the city.

Taesan watched as almost all the boys' attention was momentarily set on Amy-Janett. She noticed Taesan and gave him a wave, and he curtly waved back – then it hit him. Leehan and Riwoo were warning him because they may have been thinking that him and Amy-Janett had feelings for each other. Now he knew being seemingly close with her was going to attract problems which he was actively avoiding. He had to make sure people didn't make that conclusion.

Amy-Janett happily sat next to Lily. 'He's so cute,' she said the moment she had sat down. 'He waved back at me.'

'Obviously he did, everyone would,' Lily said in a duh-tone to her best friend who seemed to be stuck in dreamland. 'I can't believe you didn't even wave at Jaehyun, he was even looking in your direction.'

'I didn't see that.'

'Of course, you didn't,' she rolled her eyes.

'Can Taesan sit with us at lunch today?'

'No!!!!' Lily immediately disagreed. 'Why!? He needs to sit with the boys! There's no need for him to sit with us!'

'But he doesn't want to sit with the boys,' she pulled a puppy-dog face. 'He even said no.'

'And what makes you think he wants to sit with the girls then?'

'Can we just try?'

Lily sighed. 'You'll do whatever you want anyway.'

...

When it was time for lunch, she noticed Taesan quickly leaving the room just like he did when he was going home the previous day. Wanting to invite him for lunch, Amy-Janett got up from her seat and popped her head outside the classroom door. She watched him for a while, expecting him to get to the cafeteria. Maybe he wanted to get his food as quickly as possible and finish very fast. But instead, she was surprised when she saw him going up the stairs that led to the rooftop.