Twenty-Nine

The hushed conversation among the town's adults outside the town hall echoed with a sinister determination. Fueled by a misguided sense of unity, they unanimously agreed that Taesan and his mother should be forcefully exiled that very night.

'I mean, yes,' Mr. Lee said to the other adults. 'We don't have any time to waste. If that boy is dangerous, he should leave right now. Who knows what trouble he could cause?'

The mayor, in a surprising turn of events, had discreetly given his approval to this drastic measure.

As the night unfolded, Taesan was enjoying himself at home after his mother had left for the impromptu meeting. Unbeknownst to him, a plot was in motion that would shatter the fragile peace they had attempted to establish in Green Haven.

Inside the modest living room, Taesan found solace by listening to rock music, the melodies temporarily shielding him from the town's hostility. Lost in the rhythm, he allowed the music to drown out the whispers of discontent that lingered beyond his doorstep.

The peaceful moment was shattered when his mother burst into the room, her eyes filled with tears. Startled, Taesan lowered the volume of his speaker and looked towards her curiously.

'Taesan, we have to leave,' she uttered, her voice quivering with a mix of fear and sadness.

The abruptness of her words hung in the air. Taesan, caught off guard, struggled to comprehend the sudden urgency. 'Leave? Why? What's happening?'

His mother hesitated, her gaze reveling the weight of an impending storm. 'The town...they've decided that...we're not wanted here. We have to pack and go tonight.'

Ms. Han had managed to catch their plan and rushed home before the townspeople had arrived. She was sweating and tired by the time she had arrived home.

The revelation hit Taesan like a sudden, fierce gust of wind. 'I don't get it. I thought Mayor Myung said I'm not in the wrong...'

'He changed his mind.'

The sanctuary that Taesan had sought in Green Haven was slipping away, replaced by a harsh reality he hadn't anticipated.

As the realization set in, Taesan's surroundings blurred. The prospect of leaving the town that had promised a fresh start became a bitter pill to swallow.

With a heavy heart, Taesan went to his bedroom to pack his belongings. He was still very confused about the situation, but he had no time to waste.

...

As the night draped Green Haven in shadows, a different drama unfolded in the peaceful home of Amy-Janett. Blissfully unaware of the town's collective decision, she sat in the living room, engrossed in a werewolf novel. The air outside carried whispers of a looming storm, one that threatened to disrupt the peace.

The door swung open, and Amy-Janett looked up to find her parents, their faces etched with grave seriousness. Something was amiss.

'What's happening? Mom? Dad?' she asked, her curiosity tinged with a growing unease.

Her father, a man of few words, hesitated before responding. 'At the town meeting, they've decided to drive the new boy and his mother out of Green Haven.'

The weight of his words hung in the air. Amy-Janett's brows furrowed, confusion giving way to disbelief. 'But why!? What did they do?' She slowly rose up from the couch. 'Is it Mrs. Kim?'

Her mother was surprised by her daughter's emotional response. 'There are some issues, the town believes he's a threat. They've decided it's best for the two of them to leave.'