Thirty

The hallway of Green Haven High School buzzed with the hum of students navigating their way through the routine of the school day. In the corner near some lockers, Amy-Janett approached Jaehyun, an inviting smile playing on her lips.

'Hey, Jaehyun! Are you busy today after school?' she asked, the warmth in her voice resonating with a genuine sense of inclusion.

'No, I'm not.' He responded with a smile as well. He had wished for Amy-Janett to say these words to her so badly, but he knew those words would never be spoken for the reason he would have wanted.

'Great, do you want to hang out with us? We're going to the local café today.'

Jaehyun hesitated for a moment, glancing around at the familiar faces bustling around him. The idea of spending time with Amy-Janett and the others stirred a mix of conflicting emotions within him, but he managed to nod. 'Sure, why not?'

As the final bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, Amy-Janett, Lily, Sunghoon and Taesan gathered near the school entrance, waiting for Jaehyun. The air was charged with the anticipation of an afternoon spend in friendship.

'Finally, there he is!' Amy-Janett exclaimed when Jaehyun joined the group.

The plan was to spend the afternoon at the cozy café – a spot that was known for it's rich and indulgent beverages and food. Once they had walked to the café which was a short distance away, they entered and settled into a corner booth. The atmosphere was light, filled with laughter and the energy of newfound friendships.

Amidst the chatter, Jaehyun couldn't help but observe the dynamics unfolding around him. Taesan, once an outsider, seemed effortlessly integrated into the group, and his easy conversation with Amy-Janett revealed a connection that Jaehyun knew was beyond friendship.

He watched how AJ looked at him even when what he was saying was not interesting, and he knew AJ would never look at him like that.

The moment took an unexpected turn when, as they shared stories and laughter, Taesan's hand casually brushed against Amy-Janett's. Taesan had apologized, before the entire table except Jaehyun laughed in acknowledgement.

'Taesan, stop being scared of the girl,' Lily commented. 'You two like each other! It's no big deal!'

Caught in the exchange, Jaehyun decided to force a laugh. But deep inside, a pang of jealousy tightened his chest. He tried to brush it off, convincing himself that it was just residual feelings, but the twinge of envy lingered beneath the surface.

As the afternoon progressed, the group decided to explore the nearby park. Jaehyun had suggested that he should leave, but Amy-Janett insisted so much that he should stay that he ended up agreeing. The crisp autumn air carried the promise of change, mirroring the shifting dynamics within the circle.

Amidst the rustling leaves and playful chats, AJ and Taesan found themselves standing near a pond, the reflection of the changing foliage dancing on the water's surface. The air was filled with the soft rustling of leaves and the distant murmur of laughter from their friends.

'You know, we didn't have places like this where I come from.' Taesan told her, his eyes on the pond.

AJ, captivated by the sincerity in Taesan's eyes, nodded. 'I guess that's at least something you can like about this place.'

Taesan chuckled, a genuine warmth in his voice. 'Yeah, but there's so many things I'm beginning to like about this place. But what I like the most is the new friends I've made...especially you.'

Amy-Janett blushed, and she was stunned in silence for a while before she spoke. 'We're lucky to have you too, Taesan. And I, personally, feel really lucky to have made a friend like you.'