Thirty-Six

The lively market buzzed with activity as trio approached Ms. Han's pastry stall. The fragrant aroma of the baked goods wafted through the air, but tension clung to the atmosphere as they walked over to the woman with secrets locked in the past.

'Mom, we need answers,' Taesan's voice cut through the cheerful harm of the market, demanding attention.

His mother, immersed in her work, looked up with a slightly irritated frown. 'What's this about Taesan? Can't it wait?'

Taesan, his patience strained, held up the photograph for her to see. 'Explain this. "Jaehyun and Dongmin". What's going on?'

A flicker of discomfort crossed Ms. Han's face, quickly replaced by a façade of disinterest. 'That's an old photo. Kids play, and parents take pictures. What's the big deal?'

Amy-Janett, sensing the tension, interjected. 'It's a big deal because you've been keeping secrets! What connection do you have with Mayor Myung and Jaehyun?'

Ms. Han's eyes hardened and she retorted, 'you're overstepping, young lady. I don't owe you or anyone an explanation about my past.'

Taesan did not understand why his mother was acting like this, she had never been one to ever sound like this even to strangers. It made Taesan so aware of how she wanted to keep this secret close.

His frustration escalated. 'Enough with the deflection, mom! We found this in Mayor Myung's house! There's a connection, and you're not being honest about it.'

Several customers and passersby looked in their direction, now being immersed in the confrontation between the mother and son.

'What happened to respecting your elders? This isn't your concern.'

Taesan, with the weight of all the secrets pushing him forward, stepped closer. 'It is our concern. We've been living in the dark, and you've kept us there. Explain.'

Ms. Han, torn between annoyance and a hint of guilt, finally relented, 'Fine. Meet me at home after the market closes. We'll talk, but not here.'

The trio exchanged uneasy glances; a tacit agreement forged in the urgency of unraveling the mysteries that bound their lives. The bustling market continued as the trio left. Ms. Han continued to talk to her customers, although shaken by the encounter.

The trio, their minds a whirlwind of emotions and questions, gathered at Taesan's house to await Ms. Han's arrival. As they huddled in the living room, Taesan broke the tense silence.

'This is unbelievable. I can't wrap my head around it.' Taesan muttered with confusion in his voice.

Amy-Janett, her voice tinged with concern, replied, 'We're all still processing it, Taesan. This changes everything.'

Shortly after, Ms. Han entered the room, her gaze weary but resolute. She took a deep breath before addressing the trio. 'I suppose you deserve an explanation.'

Taesan, his voice stern, demanded. 'Start talking, mom. We deserve to know the whole truth.'

Ms. Han nodded, acknowledging the extent of the situation. She also took a seat away from the three and gazed up at the ceiling. 'A long time ago, I was married to Mayor Myung.'

The room was stunned in silence. All three teenagers' mouths' hang agape, trying to process what she was saying.

'And, we had two sons, twins.' Ms. Han continued. 'However, our marriage was strained, and eventually, we decided to separate.'

'Tell me you're joking.' Taesan said, but Ms. Han shook her head.

Taesan and Jaehyun looked at each other, disbelief on both of their faces. The truth hit them with a force they couldn't comprehend. Jaehyun, in the midst of shock, couldn't shake the memories of his past actions, tormenting his own brother without knowing the connection. Beside him, Taesan grappled with the newfound knowledge of having a brother who was once his enemy, processing the implications of their intertwined destinies.