Twenty-Six

During lunch time, Taesan sat with Amy-Janett as he had been doing for the past two days. The two sat next to each other at a corner by the window, and AJ did most of the talking while Taesan listened and nodded.

AJ had endless stories, and Taesan felt like he would never get tired of hearing them.

'Hey Taesan, hey AJ,' a boy greeted the two as he passed by their table.

'Hey,' they both responded.

'Wow that's weird,' Taesan commented as he looked down at his lunch tray, 'this is the first time someone has ever said hi to me at lunch.'

'Yeah,' she nodded with a smile. 'I'm so happy for you. I guess you can even make more friends,' she told him with a smile, 'if you want to make more friends that is.' She had to take into account Taesan's seemingly introverted nature.

'Don't know,' he shrugged slightly. 'I just find it so interesting the way Mayor Myung's words hold so much power. It hasn't even been a day and everyone is already doing what he said.'

'Yeah, everyone listens to Mayor Myung. We've been told to listen to him since we were kids. He's just the wisest and smartest man in Green Haven...without him, we wouldn't be where we are.'

A few moments later, a pair of familiar faces walked over to their lunch table. AJ smiled, seeing her best friend and her probable boyfriend.

'Mind if we sit?' Lily said as she placed her tray on the table.

'Of course, we don't,' AJ replied then looked at Taesan. 'Right?'

'Sure.'

The two of them sat down opposite AJ and Taesan. AJ and Taesan exchanged surprised glances before looking back at the two. Lily's change in demeanor was evident, and her eagerness to engage with them was a stark contrast to her previous anger. AJ was truly happy, she had finally gotten her friend back.

Lily started eating, before she looked at Taesan. 'So, Taesan, you're from the city, right? I'd love to hear more about how it is that side.'

'Hmm, nothing interesting really.' He replied, looking down at his food again.

AJ elbowed him, trying to subtly tell him to be more social. Lily really seemed interested to talk to him, and AJ thought this was an opportunity for the two to become friends.

'Okay um...' he decided to continue. 'Well, the City skyline at night is a sight to behold.' His own eyes started to sparkle with enthusiasm as he remembered how it was. 'Skyscrapers glisten with countless lights, creating a breathtaking scene...you know. And if you go to the right spot, you can see the city's iconic bridge, illuminated in an array of colours, spanning the river. It's like a scene from a dream.'

'Wow,' all the three who were listening both responded, imagining how beautiful it must have been.

Lily was captivated by the description, her imagination whisking her away into the city that Taesan spoke of.

'I've always wanted to see something like that,' Sunghoon commented next. 'It sounds magical.'

AJ continued to listen to the conversation as Taesan became more comfortable, and the moment her eyes were away from her friends, she noticed Jaehyun with his friends on another table. He was not conversing with them, and he was not eating his food. She knew that he was thinking about something, and a part of her felt a bit saddened seeing him like that. Sure, he had been a jerk for the longest time, but it didn't seem like he was anymore.

'I'll be right back,' AJ said, getting up from her seat before waiting for a response.

She slowly walked over to Jaehyun's table, and she was greeted by his friends before she looked down at him.