Sixteen

Lunch had been disrupted because all of the students were reacting to the news that Jaehyun was found in a terrible condition. Nothing like that had ever happened in Greenhaven – even the occasional fight between boys would always end up in a few bruises and nothing more – there was never anything this serious. Even injuries weren't common within the safe city where even thorn thickets were a rare sight.

And seeing that it was Jaehyun who had been injured, the concern was multiplied tenfold. After all, he was the city's golden boy.

The 11th grade students had been told to settle back in their classroom to avoid the chaos that was taking place in the cafeteria as the story bounced from one person to another.

Amy-Janett watched as Leehan and Riwoo walked back into the classroom as well as other students. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she was worried about Jaehyun too. What could have happened to him?

'Listen, listen,' the form teacher, Mr. Li, said as he raised his hands once all the students had return. (T/N: form teacher is like a homeroom teacher for Americans). He tried to quiet down the students, although the noise died down slower than he would have wanted. 'I know all of you are concerned about what has happened to Jaehyun, after all, he's your classmate. So instead of throwing around rumors, I suggest it's best we visit him at the hospital.'

'What?' Eunchae whimpered. 'He's actually at the hospital? It's that bad?'

Taesan gulped as he listened to the whispers.

'So instead of having afternoon lessons, we should visit Jaehyun instead. Which means classes are cancelled.'

Taesan expected the students to cheer, but none of them could cheer because they were so concerned about Jaehyun. He wondered how important Jaehyun was to the city – in his old school, no classes would have been cancelled over one person. Jaehyun was really the darling of the city, and Taesan had just injured him. So much for starting a new and better life.

'That's great Mr. Li,' Leehan said as he stood up from his desk. 'But I don't think all of us should go.'

The teacher looked around. 'Why not? I'm sure the hospital policy will allow all of you to visit him at once.'

'Yeah,' he responded then looked back slightly. 'But we don't want Taesan to go with us.'

Taesan looked up from his desk at Leehan. It wasn't as if he would have wanted to go, certainly not, but he felt a bit strange being called out of everyone as one of the people who should not attend. He suspected it was because Leehan had put two and two together and realized it was Taesan who had caused the injury.

'I don't see any reason why he shouldn't go.' He put his hands on his waist in wonder, trying to understand what Leehan meant.

'But Taesan argued with Jaehyun, and I personally don't think it's a good idea to bring someone he isn't in good terms with.' Leehan clarified.

Taesan internally sighed – at least it meant Leehan still had no idea that he was the one who had done it.

'Come on, I'm sure it was just a small fight. It's probably not that serious that...' the teacher started.

'It is.'

'Hey!' Amy-Janett interrupted. 'That's not fair. Taesan is a student just like the rest of us, he deserves to come too. Isn't he Jaehyun's classmate?'

'Sure,' Leehan turned to her with an annoyed face, replying in a sarcastic tone. 'As if you'd like it if someone brought your enemy to the hospital when you aren't in the best condition.'

'Enemies huh?' Lily mumbled to herself, trying to understand the scenario. The more it unfolded, the more she felt like Taesan could have been responsible for this.