Twenty-Three

'My mom is probably gonna kill me when I get home,' AJ said with a chuckle as she looked into the sky.

The two of them sat together in the dark park just like they had a few days ago. Even with everything that had occurred that day, they still found a small reason to smile.

Taesan had convinced his mom to let him go off with Amy-Janett. Even though she was very reluctant at first, fearing for the safety of AJ, Taesan was very persistent and his mother was too upset to try to convince him to come with her. She had simply given up and drove home.

For Taesan, being around Amy-Janett felt like his only happy place now.

'If it were my mom, she'd probably be blowing up my phone right now.' He responded, also looking into the vast sparkly atmosphere. Although there were a lot of things Taesan hated about Green Haven, one thing he couldn't complain about was the less light pollution, In the city, he could hardly see the stars. Here, they were beautifully visible. 'You guys don't really have phones here, do you?'

AJ nodded. 'We don't get cellphones until we're grown up, it's just how it is. Do you have a cellphone?'

He nodded. 'Yeah, but I don't use it much. I only communicate with my mom...lost all contact with the city...and I like it that way...so what if it's a safety emergency? Sometimes it's important for you to call your parents if you're in danger or something.'

AJ laughed slightly. 'Taesan, there's no danger here. Nothing like that ever happens in this town.'

She didn't realize she had made Taesan uncomfortable until she noticed his silence. There was indeed no danger in Green Haven - except the danger that Taesan had brought.

'Hey...' she changed the topic once she had noticed his silence. 'You like me, right?' she asked cheekily.

'What?' Taesan asked her in surprise, a blush appearing across his face. 'Why are you...assuming that?'

AJ laughed a bit too loud. 'You just kissed me.'

'It was...in the heat of the moment.' He quickly answered, but AJ knew he was not being honest.

'Sure, Taesan.'

'I mean it.'

'Sure.'

...

Jaehyun walked to the living room and peered outside the window. He watched as his father confronted the angry townspeople, his authoritative presence demanding their attention. He couldn't hear the specifics of the conversation, but it was clear that the residents were irate about something.

Jaehyun's anxiety grew with each passing moment. He feared that the recent incident at school as the injuries to his friends, must have triggered the sudden outbreak of anger. Guilt gnawed at him, knowing that he bore a significant portion of the blame.

Despite his father's efforts to calm the crowd, the frustration of the townspeople seemed unyielding. Their voices rose in a chorus of anger and discontent, and the situation only escalated.

Jaehyun couldn't bear to stay inside any longer. He needed to understand what was happening, to face the consequences of his actions. Silently, he left the house and made his way to the front door.

As he stepped outside, the commotion of the crowd was overwhelming. Angry faces, contorted with rage, turned toward him, and Jaehyun felt the weight of their collective glances.

His father, still attempting to mediate, met his gaze with a nod of acknowledgement. The townspeople had gathered to express their dissatisfaction with how the events at the school had unfolded, and they looked to the mayor for resolution.