Twelve

On Sunday morning, Amy-Janett went to church with her family as was the tradition. Almost the entire town of Green Haven went to the same church, seeing as it was a small town and there were no other nearby churches around.

She peered around the hall trying to see if, just by chance, Taesan had attended church with his mother that morning. She looked around and couldn't catch a single glimpse of him - that probably answered her question as to whether he was there in the house of worship or not.

They rose up to sing a hymn, everyone singing either proudly or lowly with their black hymn books in their hands.

One person who never missed church was Jaehyun, and was always one of the first to arrive on Sunday morning. He always sat with his father, the mayor, on the first pew from the pulpit. Jaehyun was also known to volunteer to cleaning the church frequently, and used to play piano on some Sundays.

Amy-Janett looked over to the front as her eyes bounced around the place. She was sitting in the second pew in the row adjacent to the one Jaehyun was sitting on. She stopped looking around once she had noticed that Jaehyun's eyes were on her.

It was already unusual for Jaehyun's eyes to be on her in church, but his expression made it even more questionable. He had a cross expression on his face, before his eyes rested back on the hymn book.

Amy-Janett was left in wonder, before her mother subtly hit her shoulder. She knew what that meant - it meant Amy-Janett had to focus on her hymn book instead of looking around the church. She looked back at the words and joined the rest of the church in singing.

When the service was over, the congregation left orderly. The people on the first pews were the first to leave, followed by the rest.

Amy-Janett left with her parents, who had met some of their friends outside the church building and would probably delay their departure for some 10 minutes. She wanted to get home quickly, but she couldn't say anything and stood there next to them.

She spotted Lily leaving with her parents and siblings, and she smiled and waved at her.

She continued to stand there, before a familiar figure walked over to them. It was Jaehyun, still looking unhappy but obviously trying to hide it.

'Good morning,' the young man greeted Amy-Janett's parents with a forced smile on his face.

'Good morning, Jaehyun,' her mother was the first to reply, and her father smiled at him. Everyone in the town loved him, and they were proud to receive his greeting.

'I hope you enjoyed the service today, the sermon was extremely touching.' He told them and put his hand on his heart, as if expressing how touched he was. 'Oh...is it okay if I speak to Amy-Janett for a minute?'

Her mother smiled in anticipation. 'Sure Jaehyun, why not?'

'Hey,' Amy-Janett complained, looking up at her father. 'Say something.'

'Come on Amy-Janett, it's just Jaehyun.' Her father chuckled. 'Now, if it were Leehan, maybe I'd have a problem with it.'

Her parents and Jaehyun chuckled, while Amy-Janett rolled her eyes. Reluctantly, she followed Jaehyun as he walked away from where her parents were standing.

'Where are we even going?' she complained as Jaehyun led her further and further away from the crowd. He didn't reply, and instead led her to the church garden which was behind the church building. It was quiet and empty, and the people's chatter seemed to be so far away.

Before she even knew it, Jaehyun grabbed her shoulders and held her against the wall of the building.

'Hey!' she immediately complained. 'What do you think you're doing!?'