Twenty-Eight

Jaehyun walked into his home that evening, holding on to his backpack. He could smell the supper cooking from the kitchen, and he walked over to greet the maid.

He couldn't help but notice the somber atmosphere in the air. He inquired about his father's whereabouts, expecting to hear that he was at his usual place – the office.

The maid, her expression unusually solemn, responded, 'The mayor didn't go to the office today, Jaehyun.'

Jaehyun's brow furrowed with concern. His father was known for his unwavering dedication to his responsibilities. The deviation from his routine raised an immediate alarm in Jaehyun's mind.

Hurrying to his father's study, Jaehyun found the door slightly ajar. Uncharacteristically, the room lacked its usual order and composure. Papers were scattered on the desk, and the atmosphere hinted at an underlying tension.

Entering cautiously, Jaehyun's eyes widened at the sight that greeted him. Mayor Myung, usually always dressed decently even at home, sat amidst the disorder. His shirt was untucked and his necktie hung loosely. The signs of dishevelment were a stark departure from the impeccable image Jaehyun associated with his father.

'Dad,' Jaehyun began, concern etched across his face, 'what happened today? You never miss a day at the office.'

Mayor Myung looked up; weariness etched on his features. His usual authority was replaced by an unsettling vulnerability.

'I made a mistake, Jaehyun,' he admitted despairingly.

Jaehyun, taken aback by his father's uncharacteristic admission, pressed for an explanation.

'What happened, dad? You've never looked like this before.'

Mayor Myung sighed heavily; his gaze fixed on some distant point beyond the confines of the study.

'I can't let Taesan stay here. I underestimated the consequences of my decisions, and now everyone is at risk.'

Jaehyun's eyes widened with a mixture of fear and confusion. 'What do you mean!? What's happening dad!?'

Mayor Myung hesitated.

'I'm sorry, Jaehyun.' He responded. 'I have to fix this before things spiral out of control.'

The cryptic statement left Jaehyun's mind reeling. The implications of his father's words were unclear.

'Dad,' he approached him fearfully. 'You have to tell me the truth. What's going on? Why can't Taesan stay?'

He stayed silent, appearing as if he was in deep thought.

'Jaehyun, is Taesan the boy whom you said AJ liked? I assume it's him because he's the new one who seems like he could get her attention.'

'Yes?' Jaehyun nodded slowly. 'Does that have anything to do with why he can't stay?'

'Not exactly, but I can't let him take anything from you. You deserve her.' Hurriedly, without any explanation, Mayor Myung grabbed the telephone from his desk. 'Mrs. Yang? Can you inform all the adults in the city that there's an impromptu meeting at the city hall? Let them get there as soon as possible.'

Mrs. Yang was his father's secretary, and Jaehyun was more than confused.

'Dad!' Jaehyun started again once his father had hung up the phone. 'You still won't tell me!? You're just going to go straight to the meeting!?'

Mayor Myung got up from the chair. 'I need to go dress up for the meeting, we'll talk later.'

'Dad!' Jaehyun screamed again, but got no response. His father had now already retreated into his bedroom. Jaehyun stood alone in the study, confusion etched across his face.