d'angelo | 𝐚 𝐫𝐢𝐦-𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐭.

- hey, y'all... long time no see. 🌝

- inspired by the great ajaismmmm book titled "MELAMEN || For The Brothas." 🤎

- READ THAT MFN BOOK! i'm tellin' you, if you ain't read that book, you missin' out on something SPECTACULAR! 🧏🏽‍♀️

𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴: "𝗥𝗶𝗺 𝗦𝗵𝗼𝘁 - 𝗜𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗼" 𝗯𝘆 𝗘𝗿𝘆𝗸𝗮𝗵 𝗕𝗮𝗱𝘂

"𝗶 𝗰𝗮𝗺𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗯𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗼𝗱𝗮𝘆. 𝗶 𝗮𝗶𝗻'𝘁 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗸𝗶𝗻' '𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂..."

𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗘𝗡𝗖𝗘 and her sister Erin sat at a table in the front row of the poetry and neo-soul club as they watched the band perform, both of their focuses on different instrumentalists while Essence gently tapped her foot to the rhythm of the song playing underneath the table.

the club was more of an African American club, and i say this because mostly Black folks were seen visiting it. sure, some earthy-looking white women visited occasionally to enjoy the sounds of catchy soul and smooth poetry slams, but the club was more of a safe space for Black people, especially since all of the employees and the performers were black.

the owner? black. the bartender? black. the instrumentalists? black. the singers? black. the poets? black.

it was a black-owned business with black employees, black visitors, black performers, and black instrument players, and Lord knows you'd never find that anywhere else but there.

"you think i could transform into a drum set, Erin?" Essence rhetorically asked, resting her hand underneath her chin, as the sisters locked eyes and Erin let out a soft chuckle.

"as long as i can transform into a guitar." Erin joked, a playful smile on her face, as Essence cracked a smile and let out a soft laugh while their dark brown eyes averted back to the stage in sync.

the drummer of the band on stage was D'Angelo, also referred to at times as just 'D'. he was one of the reasons why Essence was a consistent visitor at the peaceful club. he was an extremely attractive man, and nobody in the room could deny that. from his neat and slightly lengthy black cornrows, his caramel and seemingly smooth skin, and his gorgeous and hypnotizing brown eyes to his beautiful aura, his calming energy, and his enticing and slightly raspy vocals; it was clear as day that he was definitely one of God's favorites.