22. Parents

"I think you're drooling," Jack said as Elsa gaped at the Hogwarts library.

It was a tall room divided into many aisles, stretching ahead for eons, home to thousands upon thousands of books. To his sister, it had to be like paradise. He still wasn't sure why she brought them here.

"This is going to take some time," Elsa said under her breath. "Oh, a librarian."

She approached a thin woman sitting behind a wooden desk, littered by leather-bound ancient volumes.

"Hello."

"Yes?" The witch's cheeks were sunken and her complexion pasty like she rarely ever went outside.

"I'm looking for someone and..."

"Then you're in the wrong place. This is a library. You will only find books here." The woman looked back down at the large book in front of her.

Elsa forced a smile. "I am looking for a book that would help me find someone. What kind of book would you recommend? If you could just point us in the right section..."

The librarian glared at her like a predator. "If you don't know what book you're looking for, how should I? Do not waste my time, children."

Elsa backed away and glanced sideways at Jack. She whispered, "you try."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Just charm her so she would help us."

"Why do you think I can charm her?"

"Have you not noticed how easily you won over McGonagall? Do you not see how all the girls hang onto your every word? Just go, do your thing. Smile at her or something."

Jack didn't notice anything like what she described at all, but Elsa didn't let him protest and pushed him at the librarian's desk where he landed with a clatter.

The sunken-faced woman fumed at the noise, her nostrils expanding like she was a bull.

Jack scratched the back of his neck. "Hi, uh..." He read a plaque attached to the desk. "Madam Pince, my sister and I, we're lost here. There are so many books. Would you please help us?"

The woman glared at him like he had committed a crime for disturbing her. What did Elsa think he could do? Did he have a trick for McGonagall? Well, usually when he wanted her to stop yelling, he lowered his head and raised only his eyes, trying to look innocent. He tried it now on the librarian. Her vulture-like expression started to melt. She got up from her chair, her face contorting into what had to be a very rarely used smile.

"Of course, boy. That's my job. What's your name?"

Whoa. Did that really work?

"I'm Jack," he answered shyly, trying to keep the innocent mask on, "and that's my twin, Elsa."

"Twins, how cute," the woman said and smoothed the hair on his head. "Sure, I'll help you."

Elsa nudged him with her elbow, saying, "I told you so."

With the librarian's help, they found the Divination section, where she recommended books on scrying for lost objects. She smiled at them kindly, encouraged Jack to come to her anytime he needed, and left them to their research.

With the librarian gone, Jack dropped the puppy-eyes and faced Elsa. "Okay. Who are we looking for?"

"Our father," Elsa explained while touching the spines of the books to check their titles. "Mother refused to tell us anything about him but what if we could find him with magic?"