81. Dueling Club

Another weekend came and Jack woke up feeling good. Something about today was different. The mystery of it baffled him until he noticed the window. He ran up to it and threw it open. It was snowing.

It wasn't officially winter yet and he hoped the centaurs wouldn't blame him for this since he had nothing to do with this snow.

He held out his hand to allow a few snowflakes to fall on it. It didn't melt on contact with his skin and he looked at it with glee. The fresh crisp air felt invigorating in his lungs. He wanted more. Acting on impulse, he pulled the snow into the room and it came in swirling with a gust of wind.

"Why'd you open the window?" Merlin complained from his bed and waved his hand which closed it.

It was annoying sometimes how he could do that so easily.

"Sorry," Jack said quickly but didn't really mean it. It was too warm in the room and he'd love to keep the window open the whole day and night to remedy that.

At least, it was snowing today so he already knew what his weekend plans were going to be.

Down in the common room, a group of students was gathered in front of the notice board and so they made their way there to check it out.

"Dueling Club tomorrow," Jack read with confusion. "Dueling as in... fighting?"

"Combat spells," Merlin explained.

"Oh, sounds fun. Are you going?"

Merlin looked around at the excited students and shrugged.

"I think I'll check it out," Jack answered while wondering why his friend didn't seem enthusiastic about a potentially fun activity.

The weekend was looking up. Jack rushed to catch up with all of his homework to free up the rest of the weekend for snow fun, but Merlin declined his offer to play outside. Thankfully, Ginny wasn't afraid of the cold.

They practiced at the Quidditch pitch. Jack played the role of the Keeper while Ginny was a Chaser. He would have loved the game without it, but the snow just made it so much more fun. Ginny shot a few goals past him whenever he'd get distracted by the flurries but he suspected that if he really focused, he wouldn't have let any Quaffles in. They had fun but their playtime had to be cut short when Ginny feared she was getting a frostbite. It was a shame. Jack loved flying in the snow.

Sunday evening finally came and the students filed into the Great Hall, excited about the Dueling Club. Instead of the usual House tables, the hall was empty, and a golden stage was set up in the middle.

"Who do you think will lead it?" Jack asked as they made their way to it.

"My guess is on Flitwick," Merlin answered. "He's the best duelist among the staff."

Jack looked up at the ceiling which reflected the weather outside and wished that the snowflakes would reach them instead of being simply an illusion. They would've made this activity more fun as well, just as everything else.

Probably half of the school came to check out the Dueling Club. Jack noticed Elsa on the other side of the hall and waved to her. She smiled but looked a little nervous. He was sure she would do well.

"Gather round. Gather round," a familiar voice said and several students nearby groaned while a few girls squealed in delight.

"Professor Lockhart?" Jack asked Merlin who was one of those who complained.

"The worst possible teacher for this club," Merlin grumbled.

The blonde wizard, who'd just climbed the golden stage, basked in the attention and announced how Professor Snape would be his assistant. There was something comical in calling the grave Potions Master his helper and the latter did not look happy at the title. Snape approached the stage, sat on it, and lifted himself up in an awkward fashion.