40. The sticky goo

It felt ridiculous to bother with the student routine when Merlin had important work to do. Someone dangerous was on the loose at the school, danger lurked over the heads of these children, and here he was, their protector, pretending to not know how to do magic. But a part of his work was getting Harry to talk, and he needed to be a student for that. So he trudged down the stairs for another Potions class.

"You will be working on Wiggenweld Potion today," Snape said in a low voice. His lips barely moved. "Do I dare hope that all of you did your homework and already know what this potion is used for?"

He turned to the class and scanned everyone's faces. Few kids raised their hands, and he picked one Slytherin girl.

"It is a powerful healing potion."

"Correct. Five points to Slytherin. Wiggenweld Potion can also reverse the effects of the Sleeping Draught. Open your books and get to work."

Snape turned his back to them and walked to his desk. Merlin scowled at him. What in the world was Snape thinking, having them work on Wiggenweld Potion already? It required meticulous attention to detail. At each step, the brewer needed to watch the mixture's color, adjust the cauldron's heat, and be very careful when adding each ingredient. It was too complex for these children. They weren't ready.

Merlin had a feeling that something would go wrong, so he kept an eye on his friends to ensure they were following directions and wouldn't create an accidental explosion. Snape was waiting for someone to mess up, wasn't he? Did he enjoy giving these poor kids anxiety attacks?

Students got their ingredients and started working on the potion. The prep was the easy part, so Merlin had a moment to brainstorm how to get Harry to talk. He was on good terms with Hermione, but he couldn't exactly ask her, 'What do you think I should do to make Harry like me and spill all his secrets to me?' Then, maybe his approach was wrong. The time for slowly befriending Harry was gone. He needed to get into Harry's circle fast. Maybe he had to offer something other than friendship. What did he have that Harry would need or want?

Snape started walking around the classroom, giving tips to the Slytherins and criticizing Gryffindors. How typical. Merlin was halfway done with his potion and waited for it to turn red, so he used the time to check on his friends. Jack's mixture looked stable, though from how quiet he'd been, Merlin guessed he was still stressing over Snape.

"Your potion looks great so far," he said, hoping to balance out the boy's anxiety.

"So does yours," Jack said.

Merlin checked on Colin next and gasped. Colin was about to put ten lionfish spines into his cauldron all at once.

Merlin yelled, "Oh, gods. Colin, don't put that in!"

Colin looked in his direction just as the spines dropped into the mixture with a hiss. Merlin quickly ran over and put out the fire under the boy's cauldron, but it was too late. The mixture bubbled violently, and he barely managed to push Colin out of the way when it exploded. The gooey substance splattered all over Colin's desk, the floor, and, of course, all over Merlin.

The class erupted in a laugh while the Potions Master looked very satisfied with that result.

"It would seem your skills are limited to essay-writing, Mr. Ealdor. One point from Gryffindor for thinking you could save Creevey from his own incompetence. No amount of help will save this insufferable excuse for a wizard."

Merlin ground his teeth in frustration while the potion goo dripped from his face.

"Go back to Muggles, Mudblood. You'll be safer there," one of the Slytherin kids jeered at Colin, and his friends snickered.