Luna's affinity

"Luna, what is your affinity?"

The girl tilted her head and looked at the ceiling, spilling long blond hair from her shoulder.

"I don't know."

Merlin had to help her figure it out. The Goddess spoke directly to her and she never did things without a reason.

"When children accidentally use magic, many call it wild magic because it appears out of control. Well, I call that natural magic - it is our main affinity, that little special something we are born with. Usually, there is a pattern to it which can point to what the child's affinity is. What were the magical accidents that used to happen to you, Luna?"

She looked to the side with a vacant smile and he resisted an urge to tell her to hurry up. She raised her hand and moved her fingers as if she was touching an invisible object.

"One time, I was sitting on top of a huge tree. My dad thought I apparated there but I think it grew underneath me."

"Did that happen more than once?"

"The tree just one time. I might have made some flowers bloom at other times."

"This would explain why you're so good at Herbology," Jack commented and she switched to look up into the other side of the room.

"Perhaps."

"Plants then," Merlin said.

He wondered what the Goddess wanted with an affinity like this one. Did she want the girl to grow something?

The realization hit him of what it could be and he inhaled sharply.

"I know what she meant."

"Who?" Luna asked.

Merlin got up and stretched out a hand to her. "Come with me."

She didn't ask any questions but came with, completely trusting him.

If he was correct, this was wonderful news. Oh, if only he knew earlier that the girl had this ability!

He rushed out, holding her hand and everyone followed them.

"Where are we going?" Harry asked.

"There are spells which can allow any witch or wizard to speed up the growth of plants but certain plants - especially those which contain Old Magic - they resist spells like that."

He looked behind them and couldn't hide the excitement out of his voice.

"But a person with a natural affinity for plants has a special connection to all plant life, ESPECIALLY plant life containing Old Magic."

"What are you trying to say?" Dumbledore asked, having a hard time keeping up with the pace as they ran down the stairs.

Merlin led them outside. Thankfully, Hagrid had shoveled the snow to make a pathway to the greenhouses.

"Are you going to get to the point?" Snape asked, a little out of breath.

Once in the warm and humid greenhouse, Merlin finally slowed down and faced the girl.

"Only you can do this, Luna. You can help."

She smiled at him, clueless as to what he wanted of her but not protesting at all.

Harry wiped the condensation off his glasses and exchanged a look with his friends. "You're freaking us out, mate."

Merlin led Luna to the back where the mandrakes grew.

"You can speed up the growth of a mandrake, Luna. I'll help you. We can revive Colin."

"Are you kidding me?" Jack shouted and was about to run up to them but Merlin held up a hand to stop him and thought at him.