25. Feels like home

After finding the notice posted in the Gryffindor common room, Jack could barely sit still during morning classes. They were going to have their first flying lesson this afternoon.

At last.

He didn't know how much time he had left at Hogwarts before Mother discovered them, and unlike Elsa, he didn't want to waste it in the library. Before he lost it all, he wanted to experience everything the wizarding world had to offer. Flying was a must.

He rushed outside with the other students, his insides twisting from anticipation. It was a cloudy afternoon, and a refreshing autumn breeze ruffled his robes. Colin hopped between him and Merlin, while they made their way to the field at the back of the castle. Merlin slipped on the dewy grass twice already.

"Can you believe it?" Colin said. "We're going to fly! I can't wait. How high up do you think we can go on broomsticks? Look! They're waiting for us over there. Madam Hooch is coming. I can tell it's her from afar since she's the only female professor with short hair like that. I'm a little scared of heights but I'm excited to fly so I'm conflicted. Do you think it's comfortable to sit on a broom? Why won't they attach a seat to it or..."

"Alright, children." Madam Hooch stopped his rant. "Position yourselves on the left side of the broom. Yes, like that. Stay close to the ground to minimize your injuries. I don't want to send any of you to the Hospital Wing today."

"Is she kidding?" Colin whispered.

"Don't go crazy and you'll be fine," Merlin said while swatting dirt off his robes.

Jack added, "Hopefully, you have more luck flying than walking."

Merlin shrugged. How exactly would clumsiness in the air look like? Oh, no. This could turn ugly.

Madam Hooch continued, "Now when I say so, you will put your hand over the broom and..."

Jack put his hand over the broom to get ready, and it immediately flew into his hand without a command. No one else's broom reacted in that way.

"Say UP," Madam Hooch instructed.

As students started saying "Up," Jack said it too, hoping that no one noticed his broom was already in his hand.

Not everyone's brooms obeyed the command. Colin's jerked on the ground a few times before flying into his hand. Merlin's carefully floated into his hand. Maybe it knew to be extra gentle with him.

"Mount your brooms," Madam Hooch ordered and walked around them, checking their grips. "Now, only hover over the ground. Do not fly up. Come back down by leaning forward."

Jack's broom raised him in the air with ease. A part of him was screaming, 'Let's fly!' but then he remembered Elsa's voice warning him to not stand out from the other students. If only he could sneak out without anyone noticing, he could try some real flying.

Next to him, Colin's broom started to vibrate and launched him forward. Madam Hooch followed on her broom, trying to catch up to him.

Jack did not wait any longer. This was exactly the distraction he needed. As soon as he thought to fly up, he soared high into the sky. The wind roared in his ears and rushed through his hair. Now, this was the way to travel! The broom obeyed each of his wordless commands, and soon, he was zooming backwards, forwards, making loops and crazy dives, laughing hysterically from the carefree silliness.

He stopped and looked up, wondering what the gloomy clouds looked like from above. Could he reach them?

"Jack!" Merlin caught up to him. How come he didn't say before that he already knew how to fly? "You were supposed to hover! What are you doing so high up?"