In-Between

When Merlin was on his way to Dumbledore's office, he heard a shuffling behind him and ran behind a corner. It could be the monster. Why did it target him? He was Half-Blood, not Muggleborn but how exactly could the monster tell?

He started building an energy ball inside his palm and poured deadly magic into it. He only needed a split of a second to deliver the blow.

The hallway grew heavily quiet and he suspected that the source of the sound was close by already. But he didn't know if it was the monster. What if he was mistaken and it was just a student? He had to look first to ensure he didn't accidentally kill an innocent child.

With his energy ball pulsing between his fingers, Merlin swiftly turned the corner and his eyes locked with yellow eyes of a giant serpent. He released his magic but never found out if it made it to the target. Excruciating pain started at his eyes, burrowing into his mind, and after an agonizing second, it took his life.

Merlin opened his eyes to a white world made of fog. Still remembering the agony of dying, he didn't immediately catch on to where he was. He tried to walk, only to find that he was kneeling. That was when the realization of where he was hit him.

"Oh, shit."

Normally, when he died, the Goddess simply brought him back, nearly immediately, but from time to time, she wanted a word. The reason was usually not good.

"I don't appreciate that language, my Emrys," an ethereal voice sounded behind him.

He immediately bowed his head, hoping he didn't offend her. "My apologies."

Triple Goddess walked around him and was now facing him but he didn't dare to lift his head.

She sighed and the fog swirled around her bare feet. Her white gown moved as if it was underwater.

"How many times must I bring you back from the Otherworld, Emrys?"

He didn't know what to answer to that so he stayed quiet.

"Your spirit is weighed down by time. I had hopes that you would last longer but you're looking forward to death, aren't you?"

He felt that it was a rhetorical question so he stayed quiet. Of course, he was looking forward to death, and she knew that. She could hear his every thought after all.

"Then, maybe this was your last life. Maybe I shall grant your wish now."

He raised his head, unable to stay quiet anymore. "But Goddess, what about Arthur? I thought that I was waiting for him."

"If you visited the Crystal Cave lately, maybe you would have glanced my plans for you and wouldn't have to ask me insignificant questions."

Her voice was steady and mostly pleasant but he could hear the threat behind it. He stepped over the line. He had no right to question her design.

She walked around him and the fog followed her.

"Why are you afraid to look?"

She knew exactly why he didn't want to visit the cave.

"I prefer to not know the future."

"The crystals can show you more than just the future. You know this, Emrys."

"Goddess, if I may ask, do you mean that Arthur will come soon?" Her angelic face showed no reaction to his words. Could that mean... He inhaled through his teeth. "Is he here?"

"The future we both desire is taking shape but there is more to be done before it comes to pass."

He wanted to know more but knew better than to ask. If she wanted to be clearer, she would have been.