77. Finish with a bang

Trapped in Filch's office, about to be discovered by McGonagall, and worse, about to have his secret exposed, Jack was desperate for ideas. He turned to Peeves. "What now? How do I get out?"

Peeves grinned broadly and floated over. To Jack's surprise, he wrapped his arms around him in a hug. Instinctively, Jack hugged him back and felt a sudden pulling sensation. Before he could wonder what it was, he was in a completely different place.

Jack blinked, still holding on to Peeves, and looked around him. They were out in a hallway, somewhere else in the castle, probably on one of the top floors.

He slowly let go of the poltergeist who was still grinning. "That is the best trick ever, Peeves!"

Peeves giggled in his high-pitched voice and let go of him. "Peeves knows lots of tricks. I'm the best trickster."

"Yes, you are!"

"But now, Peeves needs a Thank you."

"Thank you! Of course, Thank you!"

"Nuh-uh," Peeves waved his finger. "We must mischief together. Now."

"We could use one of these." Jack pulled a firework out of his pocket.

Peeves clapped his hands and Jack started plotting. He wanted to make a nice noisy surprise that would get someone's attention.

Jack said, "First of all, I need a container."

Peeves disappeared and reappeared holding a large metal coffer.

"Perfect!!!!"

They positioned the coffer close to the staircase so that it could be heard on lower levels. Jack loaded the firework inside it and found that there was a delayed start on it.

"After I set it off, you're going to have to use your trick again to transport me out of here to Gryffindor Tower."

"No," Peeves shook his head in protest. "Pranksters must watch the prank."

"But Peeves, I don't want to get caught. You'll get me in trouble."

"Another trick. Never trouble."

Jack considered his options. Could he really trust that Peeves would not let him get caught? He saved him before, would he do it again?

"Spirit friends," Peeves flew over and nodded eagerly. "Spirit friends."

Jack took a few breaths, thinking. Maybe it was naive to trust a mischievous spirit, but Jack believed that Peeves craved company enough to make an effort.

Peeves held his hands together in a pleading gesture, and Jack's resolve cemented. Peeves was a lot more than a castle nuisance.

"If you get me in trouble, we're not friends anymore" Jack whispered and Peeves genuinely smiled. Jack pulled out his wand, set off the firework, closed the coffer, and turned to the poltergeist. "So what's your other trick? We need it."

Peeves floated behind him and sat on his back like for a piggy ride. And then, Jack felt a new kind of magic take hold of him. He didn't have to ask Peeves what it was because he immediately saw—he was completely invisible. He moved a few steps away from the coffer, knowing the firework was about to detonate.

It was a strange feeling to walk when he couldn't see himself, to feel Peeves on his back but not see him. He tried to focus to use that different part of his vision and exhaled in relief when he finally saw a faint outline of his body's white glow and Peeves' reddish one. The more he used this new ability, the easier it became.

The first firework exploded within the coffer and banged around, making enough noise to be heard several floors down. The second bang was even louder than the first and echoed through the corridor. Then, it was quiet. Jack knitted his brows in worry. Was that it? He heard some commotion from lower levels—someone was climbing the stairs.

Peeves whined near his ear like a bored toddler. If this prank failed, Jack would need to try again to appease him.

The footsteps drew closer and Jack could swear he could hear whizzing like a kettle that was close to boiling. His hope flared up again.

As the teachers arrived, the wheezing grew louder. Jack tried to breathe as quietly as he could as he watched McGonagall, Flitwick, Sprout, and Filch cautiously approach the coffer. Peeves tightened his legs around him, also anticipating what would happen.

"What do you think is inside?" Sprout asked.

"Let's find out," Flitwick said, pulling out his wand.

After he waved it over the coffer, the lid flew open, releasing a hissing firework that flew over their heads and out into the corridor. Then it came back and exploded with a big bang just a few feet away from them, showering them with magnificent sparks.

When the smoke cleared, four stupefied soot-covered adults stood in front of the coffer. McGonagall waved her hand in front of her face to chase away the smoke. The top of Filch's head was smoking and Sprout put it out by conjuring water and throwing it at his face. Flitwick tried to shake the soot off his robes and looked up at the other adults apologetically. Whatever he expected to find inside, it wasn't that.

Jack stifled a snort while on his back Peeves was shaking from suppressed giggles. McGonagall's eagle-like stare scanned the hallway, looking for clues or evidence. Jack stood as still as he could and wished that Peeves would calm down.

"More. More!" Peeves whispered in his ear and jumped on his back.

So the hunger for mischief wasn't satisfied yet. Whether affected by the spirit or by his own volition, Jack was inspired with another idea. He quietly pulled out another firework from his pocket and walked up to the closest suit of armor. He lifted up the helmet visor and threw the rocket inside.

McGonagall heard the clanging inside the iron suit as the rocket fell in and looked in its direction. Jack activated the firework with his wand and quietly walked backwards.

Seconds ticked by and McGonagall made a few steps forward. Just when she was a foot away, the firework exploded, making the suit jump. Startled, she shrieked and reflexively threw a stun at the suit, which fell apart, releasing the firework. She stumbled and fell on her behind to avoid getting hit by it and it zoomed at the other teachers. This time, Flitwick reacted in time and shot a spell at it which made it explode in a flash of colorful sparks.

Jack covered his mouth to stifle his giggles but some must have escaped because McGonagall's head snapped to look right at where he was standing.

Jack pat Peeves' leg to signal that they had to go and the spirit understood. Within a blink of an eye, they were in front of the portrait of the Fat Lady and she screeched upon seeing them.

"You scared me," she exclaimed while holding a hand to her bosom.

"Sorry," Jack tried to look innocent but then exploded with laughter. "She fell on her butt!!! The look on her face!"

Peeves guffawed while floating upside down next to him.

Jack started to calm down and was semi-composed but then Peeves did a reenactment of the suit of armor versus McGonagall, complete with firework sound effects and Jack lost it again.

The Fat Lady looked on with an obvious distaste but waited until he got over his fit. He took a long breath and decided that he couldn't bear to laugh anymore. "Wattlebird."

Fat Lady pointed a finger at Peeves. "You are not allowed in. You know the rules."

Peeves stuck his tongue out and blew a raspberry at her.

Jack waved at him. "I'll see you later, Peeves. It was fun, friend."

Peeves flipped in the air, lowered his jingly hat with a theatrical bow, and disappeared.

Fat Lady opened the portrait hole to let Jack in and he ran to his dorm to hide his new contraband in his trunk. He had a small supply of pranking goods to get him started. Later, he could visit Filch's office again. Maybe Peeves would know what they were and how to use them.

He couldn't wait to have more fun with his spirit friend.

》《

A/N: You didn't think the pranks are over now, did you? Hehe. Don't forget Jack isn't the only prankster in this story.