64. Luck of Friday the Thirteenth

"You do not belong here!" said a fully armed centaur while towering over Jack who sobbed on the ground, completely unaware of the danger he was in.

'Oh, dear goddess,' Merlin thought to himself. How did this day go so terribly wrong?

From the day after Colin was petrified when he started to suspect Jack of involvement with the Chamber of Secrets, he'd been trying to uncover the boy's mysteries. As much as he hated himself for trying, Merlin attempted to break into his mind, only to get nothing. It appeared that Jack wasn't even aware that his mind's walls were up. Merlin had never encountered Occlumens like him. There was no resistance to overcome. The boy was a blank slate.

Merlin tried the same on his sister, only to encounter the same problem. Were these twins trained in this ability or was it innate?

So he decided that the only way to get the truth out of the boy was to have him volunteer it. He noticed in the past that Jack would let unspoken words slip up whenever he was upset, he had no filter on his mouth, so today, Merlin tried to get the boy to reveal his stance on blood-purity to gauge whether it resembled someone who would want to open the Chamber of Secrets. He even offered a little trivia about himself to appease the boy's curiosity, and it worked. He thought his plan was infallible.

But the boy didn't fall for his suggestion that all pure-blooded families were a bunch of inbred losers. He disregarded as if it didn't concern him at all, and instead got passionate about the topic of education of magical creatures. The conversation upset him so much, he ran away.

Merlin followed him stealthily all the way into the Forbidden Forest. He was most intrigued if Jack was about to meet an accomplice or maybe even the Chamber monster itself, but instead, the boy wandered into the forest aimlessly and collapsed in sobs so genuine, they pulled on Merlin's heartstrings.

There was no grand plan in the forest. The boy simply wanted to get away so no one would see him cry—including Merlin.

He pushed him too hard. It was difficult to be tough on someone this young. And yet Merlin wasn't done. He still had not found out enough and would have to be the bad guy again. But not today. Today, he admitted defeat.

While the boy cried, frost spread under his hands and marked his presence in the forest, and the forest reacted. Within a minute, a centaur galloped right up to the unsuspecting boy who was too lost in his lament to notice. Merlin quickly masked his presence with glamour and remained invisible.

The centaur watched the frost creep up a tree trunk, and his lips curled up in anger, revealing large sharp teeth. "Stop this magic!" He drew his bow and aimed at the boy.

Merlin was ready to stop the arrow, should it be fired, though he doubted that he needed to interfere. Most centaurs were honorable creatures and wouldn't harm a child. Most.

Jack came to his senses and noticed the threat. His breath was still hitched after his crying fit, but the clear danger sobered him up.

"I said, stop this magic!" the centaur warned.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I lost control. I didn't do it on purpose."

"Your kind is not welcome here."

New tears dropped down the boy's cheeks. "I'll leave. I'm sorry. I didn't look where I was going."

The centaur hoofed the ground impatiently, kicking bits of snow mixed with dirt. "Look at this! You and your kin have meddled with the balance. You have no right! This is your warning. We will interfere to protect nature's order if we have to."