You pulled what out of a toilet?

Merlin ran from the Owlery back to the castle, positively giddy at the thought of what they were about to do. Harry was guarding his post at the corner of Dumbledore's office.

"They're still in there," he confirmed. "How will the owl know when to come?"

"I'll call it."

Thankfully, Harry didn't question how, which was good since Merlin didn't have a lie handy to explain the magic he was planning to use.

They didn't have to wait long. Malfoy Sr. soon came out with Snape and Dobby right behind. Merlin waited with Harry in the shadows until they passed and then stealthily followed.

"Dumbledore is the worst thing that ever happened to this school," Malfoy commented. "Very poor judgement."

"We work with what we have, Lucius," Snape responded in his monotone voice. "Don't worry. I'll oversee his detentions and will go easy on him."

Merlin resisted an urge to say something. He bet Draco wouldn't have to wash dirty cauldrons or dice pungeous onions. No, that punishment was only reserved for Gryffindors.

Malfoy scoffed. "Detentions. Even that is too much. What about that other boy that Draco said was involved?"

"I questioned him myself. It appears that the encounter with the boy happened before the incident. Maybe Draco was distraught and took out his frustration on Filch, who knows. It's done."

"He needs to learn to control himself," Malfoy complained.

"I'm sure he will with age."

Even though they made no noise as they followed them outside, Dobby noticed them. Harry put a finger to his lips and the Elf stayed quiet. Merlin sent a magical message to the owl to signal that it was time.

Snape continued walking Malfoy out to the gate where a carriage awaited. There was nothing to hide behind up ahead so they couldn't follow any further and took cover behind a bush.

"Dobby," Merlin whispered and the Elf turned to him. Those big ears did give him a better hearing. "When he gives you the package, open it."

Dobby looked confused and walked backwards for a moment but then turned around and ran back to his master.

A large owl swooped down with a neatly wrapped box, screeched to get the wizards' attention, and dropped the package in Malfoy's hands. He sagged under the weight - Merlin put a bunch of rocks in it to make it heavy - and gave it to Dobby, barely glancing at it.

"Valentine's Day gift," he chuckled and covered his perfect teeth with the back of his hand. "Late too. Atrocious delivery service."

Snape grumbled something Merlin couldn't hear from his spot and opened the gate for them.

Dobby looked at the package in his hands and then at the bush where Merlin and Harry were.

"Open it. Open it. Open it," Harry whispered to himself, shaking from excitement. "Open it, Dobby." Then, he said to Merlin, "Do you think he heard you? Will he know what to do?"

Dobby still looked like he was afraid to open the box so Merlin helped him out by popping the lid off with a little magic.

The Elf's eyes became larger than tennis balls and he gently put down the box on the ground.

Malfoy was getting in the carriage and noticed what his servant was doing. "Dobby! You useless..."

"Thank you, master," Dobby said and pulled out the small object out of the box. "Master presented Dobby with a sock."