24. Blubber and Nitwit

Albus Dumbledore was sucking on a new sweet he picked up in a Muggle shop. The shopkeeper promised it was the best raspberry candy he had. Albus agreed. The flavor swirled around in his mouth and the sweetness was just enough to satisfy his craving while not overwhelming his taste buds. It was a treat worth being addicted to.

"Yes, please, come in," he said after hearing a soft knock.

He had called for Merlin and was looking forward to the report on Harry, but moreover, he wanted to keep an eye on the sorcerer who, as well-intentioned as he might be, was also a wild card with no real obligation to be here.

Merlin walked in and paused to scan the room. It was quite remarkable that this young raven-haired boy was the same powerful sorcerer Albus had known for decades. He played the role of a helpless child very convincingly, down to a naive expression and clumsy demeanor. Only his eyes stayed the same, betraying sly confidence only someone as overpowered as Merlin could possess.

There were potions a wizard could use to appear younger but the results were temporary. Even the Elixir of Life Nicolas Flamel invented required continued consumption in order to prolong the alchemist's life. Merlin's aging magic wasn't the same. It allowed him to physically change his age, to actually become younger or older, and the spell would hold as long as the sorcerer will it.

Out of nowhere, the portrait of Heliotrope Wilkins spoke up from the wall, "Is that you, Merlin? Look at you, so dashingly young!"

Merlin looked up at her, and it took him a moment to recognize her, but finally, he smiled and waved. "Lady Heliotrope, lovely as always."

The other portraits of past Hogwarts Headmasters woke up and started murmuring among each other, each one appraising him. Even the four founders stirred in their frames, eyeing Merlin with a variety of expressions.

Albus didn't know much about Heliotrope as her portrait rarely ever spoke. He made a mental note to look her up later, now curious about the circumstances of how she might have met Merlin. But for now, he thought it was problematic that someone recognized him. Hogwarts portraits had a tendency to talk to each other.

He addressed them, "I must ask all of you to not disclose Merlin's identity to the other paintings. It's vital that his presence here remains secret."

The portraits all agreed, and Merlin continued looking around.

"Have any other paintings recognized you?"

"Just my own," Merlin said. "Most wizards know me as an old man. It's a shame, that's the most useful age, but I've used it too often, and I'm too recognizable now."

"How have your first weeks at Hogwarts been?"

Merlin shrugged and sat down in the comfy chair Albus pointed to. "All is well. I'm still trying to get used to being a child. It sucks being this short."

"Candy?" Albus offered him a raspberry treat but Merlin refused. He sat behind his desk and looked at the young sorcerer from under his half-moon spectacles, trying to decipher his mood. "Anything not to your liking? Is the food good? Is your bed comfortable?"

"You're spoiling me, Albus. I spent a good chunk of my life sleeping on the ground. It doesn't take much to impress me. My accommodations are fine, and the food is great. I might visit the Kitchens to praise the elves myself."

"They will most appreciate it. How is Harry?"

Merlin sighed and helped himself to the candy after all. "Oh, yes, Harry."