54. What happened to Colin

Someone might have thrown a bucket of cold water at Merlin for how quickly he snapped awake when Jack told him that Colin wasn't there. When Merlin had returned earlier, he was so tired, he didn't look at who was in bed and who wasn't, so he didn't notice that Colin's neatly made bed had not been touched tonight, but now, it was blatantly obvious.

"Merlin, he's Muggle-born. You don't think..." Jack's voice cracked, and he couldn't finish the sentence.

Merlin quickly threw on a pair of trousers and shoes and ran out, Jack followed. He rushed to the Hospital Wing and threw its doors open with magic. Right there on a wire-framed bed was a statue of Colin Creevey, frozen in a strange position as if he was holding something. Merlin ran up to him and checked his vitals.

"He's alive but petrified," he said.

"No..." Jack said in a small voice next to him. "Not Colin."

The longer Merlin looked at the stiff body of the boy, the more his blood boiled. Colin, the happy, easily excited, nicest, and most innocent boy he'd ever met, was the first human victim of the Chamber of Secrets. It was happening—Muggle-borns were being attacked and this pure boy, his friend, was the first one to go. And Merlin failed to protect him.

Madam Pomfrey walked in, yawning.

"You can't do anything for him, boys," she said kindly. "We'll make a Mandrake Restorative Draught and bring him back but it's going to take a few weeks. Mandrakes are not ready yet."

Jack sat down on the bed next to the boy. "Can I stay with him?"

"Yes, but there's really nothing for you to do. I'll take good care of him. I promise."

"Can I help?"

Merlin didn't stick around to hear the rest of the conversation. He ran out of there in the direction of Dumbledore's office. By picking his friend, Salazar's heir guaranteed that Merlin was now taking it very personally. He knocked and walked in without waiting for an invitation. He froze in place when he saw that he interrupted the Headmaster with the Heads of Houses whose eyes were now all on him.

"Oh, sard it!" he swore at the mistake he just made.

Snape looked annoyed, Sprout and Flitwick looked puzzled to see him there, and McGonagall looked so outraged as if he had walked in there naked. He resisted an urge to check if he really was wearing his trousers.

"I will see you afterwards, Merlin, if you'd kindly wait outside?" Dumbledore said.

"Yes, sir. Forgive the intrusion," he blurted and turned back around.

He paced in front of the gargoyle entrance to the office and tried to calm his nerves. He couldn't get over the feeling of failure that overwhelmed him. He knew what danger Colin was in and still left the boy to wander the castle halls alone like a tasty bait for the Chamber monster. He had to make this castle safe again, and he had to act fast before more children were attacked.

The staff came out from the Headmaster's office, and McGonagall stopped by him.

"That was incredibly rude, Mr. Ealdor," she said sharply. "You've made it a habit to act rudely in front of the Headmaster!"

He hoped that she meant the intrusion and didn't understand the swearing. "Yes. I was... I was distraught... because of Colin." He didn't even have to fake it.

Her face softened a little. "The Headmaster will see you now."

"Thank you, Professor," he said hastily and ran up the narrow staircase.

He walked into the office cautiously, fully expecting "Where were you?" type of questioning. He deserved it. What use was he if he couldn't even keep his own friends safe?

"You don't have to say it," Dumbledore said while petting his Phoenix.

Merlin wasn't sure what he referred to so he silently walked up to him.

"You must be dying to say 'I told you so.'" Dumbledore continued.

"No. I'm not," Merlin sighed. "I didn't want this to happen. I'd love to be wrong for once." He reached out to pet the bird, but Fawkes squawked and moved away. "Still doesn't like me."

Dumbledore walked away and sat behind his desk where he rubbed his temples. "Have you got any leads?"

"I think one of the younger students is behind it but don't know more than that. Harry wants to do his own investigation, so I'm helping him."

"I'm glad at least that is working out. Keep him safe while he's sneaking around."

"I will but what about the rest of the school?"

"The Heads of Houses will instruct all Prefects and Head Boy and Girl to help keep the students from wandering alone. The staff will take turns patrolling the corridors. But most of all, we need to find out who is behind this."

"Yes, we do."

They sat in silence for a while. The seconds ticked by, and Merlin nervously patted the table with his thumb. "You had a house-elf visit yesterday," he remembered. "Dobby, not one of yours. Have you heard of him?"

"House-elf? No. What was he doing here?"

"Interfering with the game. That elf knows something, probably overheard his master talk about the Chamber but wouldn't tell me anything. You know how they are with loyalty—can't get them to talk directly against those they serve. If only we knew who his master was, we would have a clue."

"I will ask around if anyone has heard of Dobby, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. A good elf is an invisible elf. It's possible that no one but the master would know his name."

"I put a tracking mark on it. I'll attempt to follow it today. Maybe I can discover its master."

"Good luck then. I'll cover for you if it takes you more than a day." The old wizard's face became serious again. He shifted in his seat as if getting ready for something unpleasant. "Merlin, by happenstance you wouldn't know anything about the curse that has been placed upon Severus Snape?"

Ah, that unpleasantry. Merlin tried to keep a straight face. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Albus sighed and linked his hands together in front of him. "Reverse the curse, Merlin. You've had your fun."

Merlin rolled his eyes. "These types of curses have a tendency to land on people who deserve them, Albus. When he stops deserving it, we can talk."

Dumbledore huffed. "I think you've been a child for too long because you're starting to act like one. You can't go around cursing my staff just because you don't like them."

All humor gone, Merlin tried to stand as tall as his young body would let him. He was actually wondering if he went too easy on Snape who not only tormented his students but trained the next generation of bullies by example. Merlin only got started on teaching the lesson to his dear Potions Master.

"I will not stand by and do nothing when innocents are being mistreated." He poked his finger in the old wizard's direction. "Be glad broken chairs is all he got. Maybe I was in a good mood that day. You do not want to see me in a bad one."

He could feel his temper flaring and didn't need to make it worse. There was no time for arguments with Dumbledore.

"We're done here," he said curtly. He had more important things to do than explaining his plans for Snape. "I'll look for Dobby."

For some reason, he felt a need to remind Dumbledore who he was dealing with. So he disapparated right in front of him in a cloud of black smoke and a whirl of wind.