Hagrid's pets

My name is Harry Potter

Hello, my name is Tom Riddle. How did you come by my diary?

Someone tried to flush it down a toilet.

Lucky then that I recorded my memories in a more lasting way than ink.

Memories of what?

Of terrible things that happened at Hogwarts while I attended it as a student. Things that were covered up.

That's where I am. At Hogwarts and terrible things have also happened. Do you know anything about the Heir of Slytherin?

Of course, I do. I caught the person who released the monster.

Who was it?

I can show you if you'd like.

OK.

~~~

"Watch out!"

Merlin ducked just in time to avoid getting hit by a fast-traveling firework which zoomed by his head, turned around and landed in a pile of parchments, scattering them through the common room.

"Who did that?" Percy Weasley, the owner of said parchments, shouted.

Several people in the common room giggled but no one claimed responsibility.

Over in the corner, out of Percy's view, the Weasley twins were crouched over a box, whispering something to each other. One of them noticed Merlin and put a finger to his lips, followed by a wicked grin.

It would be wise to leave the common room before they completed whatever plan they were cooking up right now so Merlin got a move on.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were in their usual spot by the fireplace and got up as soon as they saw him.

Merlin's grin started fading when he noticed the excitement in Hermione's eyes. He didn't know how to act around her now. How exactly was he going to turn her down if she made the first move? "I'm too old for you" would not work since he was supposed to be a year younger. Turning her down cold was going to be so cruel. He was not looking forward to it.

"We're going to Hagrid's," Harry explained. "Grab your cloak."

As he was leaving with them, he cast a glance to where Ginny was sitting with her roommates. Figuring out what danger was waiting for her was more important than meeting the groundskeeper, but he honestly didn't know where to start, so he tried to assure himself that she was safe in the common room.

Merlin tightened the cloak around himself and wondered why the school wasn't built in a warmer part of the country. While the weather had started to warm up the last couple of days and he hoped it was a sign that the winter was starting to wane, today, the cold air stung his face and assaulted his nostrils as if Winter was in a bad mood.

The kids were talking excitedly about some riddle but he tuned them out, unable to focus on their prattle.

Was there anything he could do to scan the school for signs of the book? He has been observing the students but has not noticed any odd behavior. Everyone seemed to relax since there were no more attacks and the petrified students were back.

They arrived at Hagrid's hut, which was a wooden house at the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Harry knocked on the large door, and the Half-Giant peeked out.

"Who's a-knockin'?" He noticed them and his bushy beard turned up into a smile. "Harry, Ron, Hermione, an'..."

"I'm Merlin."