Let's "study" in the library

Hello.

Hello. Who is writing to me now?

It's Harry Potter again. I wanted to ask you about that memory you showed me.

Sure.

You were the one who told on Hagrid and got him expelled!

Yes.

But he was innocent. He wasn't the Heir of Slytherin.

I didn't know that.

You ruined his life.

People were getting attacked by a monster and I knew of a monster. What would you have done? I did the responsible thing to protect my friends.

I wouldn't have done that without having proof.

I'll show you another memory to prove to you that it was the right thing to do.

Harry? Are you still here?

~~~

After another boring Potions lesson, while Merlin was packing his things, he noticed that Snape pulled Jack aside. He slowed down to "accidentally" overhear their conversation.

Snape asked in his usual monotone voice, "Did you have an encounter with Draco Malfoy yesterday? He said that you were involved in the incident with Argus Filch."

"I saw him but didn't see what happened to Mr. Filch."

"Did you have an argument with him?"

Jack dropped his head and lifted only his eyes, which took on their innocent puppy look.

"He doesn't like me."

Snape's face didn't betray an emotion but the way he gently put a hand on Jack's shoulder did.

"It would've been easier to get along with Draco if you were in the same House."

Jack smirked but somehow still looked innocent. "Nothing wrong with a little competition."

Snape's mouth lifted slightly - was that a smile? Jack really knew how to work this guy.

"Stay out of trouble, Jack."

Merlin slung his bookbag over the shoulder and shook his head at the boy, who came back with a smug expression.

"Everyone says that Malfoy is Snape's favorite, but he's taking your word over his. It's like you have a superpower."

"I'm just nice to him. Nothing super about it. Try it one time."

"You are the only Gryffindor he addresses by a first name."

"He keeps asking me to switch to Slytherin." Jack sighed and Merlin couldn't believe what he heard. Has that ever happened before? "But can you imagine being in the same House as Malfoy? I don't know who's worse, him or Potter."

"Do you really have to ask? Get to know Harry a bit and your opinion of him will change."

"I bet people say that about Malfoy as well." He smirked. "Or you."

"Hey!"

"Merlin?"

"What?"

"Your bag..."

Jack didn't have to finish as Merlin's things spilled around him. He apparently held his bag upside down.

He started picking it all up and was thankful that Jack helped instead of laughing.