Chapter Fourteen: Liz and Marshall

Marshall opened his eyes once more. He was still in the living room, on the same pup bed he had gotten used to sleeping on since Katie and Liz took her in. He had also gotten used to waking up on his own. Instead of waking up alone in the middle of a dark living room, he quickly realized he was sleeping beside two other pups.

Rays of moonlight peeked through the windows nearby, giving the room gentle illumination and visibility. His paw reached up to his face. The areas beneath his eyes seemed to be soaking wet. Had he really cried that much?

His drowsy eyes slowly drifted around, studying his surroundings. The first thing he noticed was a tuft of gray fur moving in the corner of his eye. Turning his head to look into it, he noticed that the tuft of gray fur belonged to the tail of Rocky, who was sleeping on his back. His head was beside Marshall's hind legs as he let out the faintest groan.

Looking to his right, his cheeks flushed beneath his fur when he noticed a familiar Husky sleeping beside him. Everest, who was also asleep, was gently leaned up against Marshall.

As his heart began to pound faster, he quickly took note of the fact that his crush on Everest hadn't faded in the time they spent apart. Them being separated for long periods of time was never new back when he was on the PAW Patrol, but things had changed substantially since back when he was on the team.

The Dalmatian slowly stood up, walking over to the nearby windowsill. There was a small pillow on it that Marshall took the opportunity to lie down on. He looked up at the midnight sky. His sleep schedule was surely screwed after sleeping through the whole day. But it wasn't his fault. Well... Not entirely.

Marshall looked down at the bandages on his two forelegs. Those scratches from Hood really did a number on him. That fight as a whole was terrifying. He didn't want to fight. He was just clumsy enough to crash into him and instigate his own fight.

He then turned to look at his unconscious friends. His eyebrows furrowed. They certainly wouldn't react all too well to the bandages they seemed to not notice when they initially saw him. How was he supposed to explain them?

"So... Everest, Rocky... You might be wondering where I got these bandages from..." He spoke faintly to himself, "It's a new fashion statement...?"

His paw suddenly slapped his forehead. No way would they believe that. Rocky was too smart for that, and he couldn't lie to Everest.

He muttered, "What am I gonna do...?"

"You seem a lot more comfortable talking to yourself now that you decided to open your mouth."

Marshall perked up, his eyes widening. He took his eyes off of his friends, looking over to see a familiar face. With a terrible case of bedhead, Liz walked over as she crossed her arms. He looked confused to see the woman awake at this time of night.

"Mind if I sit?"

The Dalmatian nodded.

Liz sat down next to Marshall, crossing her legs. The former fire pup looked away. There was a lot he needed to say to her now that he seemingly felt comfortable talking again.

"So, these two are your friends, huh?" She asked, trying to start a conversation, "Pretty cool friends if you ask me..."

The black and white pup looked out of the window, "They came to get me. They came to find me and let me know that they wanted to be with me. No matter what."

Liz looked at the two sleeping pups, "So, tell me about them."

"Huh?"

"All I know about them is that they bicker with each other, and that they're your friends."