Chapter Thirty-Five: Born to Survive

Rocky remained silent as Everest continued to swerve through the forest, his eyes darting around. All that could be heard between them was the Husky's quick breathing, and the sounds of the snowcat's wheels crushing twigs and sticks along its path. He made sure that she was going in the right direction before turning to look at her.

"Everest...?"

"What?" She quickly responded, her eyes still glued ahead.

Rocky put a paw on her shoulder, "I think we lost them. You can slow down..."

"Mm!" She immediately shook her head in refusal.

The mixed breed's eyebrows came together, his face scrunching up. This kind of shutdown response was nowhere near something he'd usually expect from Everest. She was never the type to close herself off and react negatively to danger. Especially since danger was a part of their everyday lives when performing their duties as members of the PAW Patrol. Obviously, something was wrong.

But... What was he supposed to do about it?

Rocky had been taught many lessons and learned a lot of skills following his and Everest's departure from the PAW Patrol. Unfortunately, none of these skills helped him with being in tune with his own and others' emotions. It was something he could do, evident from his accidental confession during his talk with Marshall the night before Marshall was discharged from the team, but he wasn't very good at it. Not like his Dalmatian friend was.

But at that moment, speeding through the forest at dangerous speeds, he didn't exactly have Marshall to lean on. He would have to find a way to get to the root of Everest's problem on his own. Hopefully before they crashed into something. First thing's first, he needed to stop the snowcat.

The mixed breed pup slithered to Everest's right side, bracing himself. He slammed on the brakes, instantly able to slow the vehicle down. He knew that there was a failsafe in each vehicle owned in the PAW Patrol that would automatically force it to stop moving if both the gas and the brakes were pressed on for just a few seconds.

Upon the snowcat stopping, Everest turned to Rocky, "What are you—?" She was cut off by Rocky grabbing her and taking her out of the vehicle.

He dragged her to a tree, putting her up against the trunk, "Okay... I'm not good at this... But even I can notice that something's wrong..."

"So...?" The Husky asked expectantly.

Rocky huffed, "So, out with it, Husky. Spit it out. What's bothering you so much?"

Everest's right eye twitched, "Like I'd be open to that."

"Give me a break!" The mixed breed shouted, "I'm not good at this! I wish it was Marshall here instead, because I don't know how to address this... Something's wrong with you, and I don't... I don't want something to be wrong with you."

The Husky's unamused glare softened ever so slightly.

Rocky looked down at the grass, "...Ugh... What would Marshall do!?"

"He'd ask me why I get so scared..." She quietly tells him, "...Then he'd try to make me feel better about it..."

He sits next to her, "...That's not my thing. I want to know why you get so scared, but I'd want to solve the problem."

"I don't think you can fix my problems, Rocky..." Everest gives him a solemn smile, "They're too big..."

Rocky then made his best attempt at a Marshall-esque grin, "What ever happened to there being no job too big?"

The Husky blankly stared at her friend, who held that grin on his face. It was oddly comforting to see Rocky smile like the pup she adored usually would. When he smiled like Marshall, she didn't think of Marshall, she thought of the friend that was doing whatever he could to make her comfortable. Her cheeks slowly puffed up as a snicker slipped out of her mouth.