Chapter Twenty Four: Canine Curiosity

"Okay... All I have to do is connect the communicator to Ryder's discarded pup pad, that will reroute the power and give us an image in the form of two points..." Rocky's eyes squinted, "Liz, you might want to roll down the windows in case it explodes again."

"Explodes!?" Everest immediately backed away to the opposite side of the back seat, "Again!?" The Husky then grabbed Marshall and protectively held him close to her.

Marshall's cheeks went pink under his fur as he tried his best not to melt in her grasp.

"Well sorry!" The creative canine tried to defend himself, "I've never worked with such little tech before! I've used old parts before, but when it comes to making sense of Ryder's old wirings on my own... Sometimes it doesn't work the first time."

"Let's give him a shot, okay?" Marshall looked at the former mountain pup with a smile.

Liz, who's eyes remained on the road, "He's got a point, you know?" She joined the conversation, "Right now, he's carrying this operation. We wouldn't have even known which way to go if Rocky's initial device was a total dud."

"Yeah, give me a little credit..." Rocky sat on his haunches, smiling triumphantly.

Letting Marshall go, Everest only sighed in defeat. She was outnumbered. She was a fair pup. If Liz and Marshall thought that it was okay, then she'd believe them.

Marshall, Rocky, Everest, Katie, and Liz were all on the road, heading in the direction Rocky had discovered Hood to be going with a prototype device. While the device had blown up within minutes, Rocky was able to learn that Hood was south of Adventure Bay, and was quite far from what he had inferred. So they did the next logical thing. Head south while Rocky worked on a way to repair the device.

Katie, exhausted from running around earlier that day, was already asleep in the passenger seat of the car, having been given one of the three blankets the group packed to bring along with them. She hadn't even been woken up by the conversations around her.

Rocky waited for Liz to lower the windows, which she eventually did. He gulped softly before connecting the communicator to the old pup pad. The screen of the old pup pad lit up before displaying two glowing dots on the screen. One was blue, and the other was red. The mixed breed's face lit up upon seeing the device didn't blow up in his face.

"I did it! We have a visual!"

Marshall and Everest howled with excitement. Liz smiled widely as she pressed on the gas a bit harder.

"Okay, judging by the way the dots are moving... I'd say that this device is the blue dot. The one attached to Hood's cloak is the red one."

"Are we headed the right way?" Marshall inquired.

The mixed breed looked at the Dalmatian, a nervous smile on his face, "We are not."

Marshall stared out of the window as they passed by Adventure Bay once again. Since they had gone north instead of south, they had to cross through the town once more. The moon was now high up in the sky, providing natural light to the town. The Dalmatian's lids lowered a bit before raising up once again, his body jolting upright once he realized he was falling asleep.

His eyes gazed at a single building that towered over the rest. A building that was a slight distance away from the others. The PAW Patrol lookout. The Dalmatian remembered the nights he spent looking for Hood, standing atop various buildings while gazing at the lookout. He couldn't help it. The place he used to call home remained there unshaken by his departure.

The Dally finally took his eyes off of the lookout, which soon landed on the two sleeping pups beside him in the backseat. Rocky, who was curled up in the middle, and Everest, who was on the right side of the backseats, slept soundly. The mixed breed's tracking device was placed up front so Liz could make sure they were always going in the right direction.