Chapter Forty-Eight: Story of Unity

Everest yawned as she watched Skye start another round of her favorite video game. The Husky flopped onto her side, too exhausted to continue entertaining her best friend. The former aviator pup turned her head, gazing at the exhausted canine with a surprise in her eyes.

"C'mon, Everest!" The Cockapoo urged her, "You're a Husky! I know you have more stamina than that."

"Nope, I'm done..." Everest rasped, "I don't know what kind of kick you get out of playing this game endlessly for days in a row, but I don't have that in me..."

"In the month while Marshall was suspended, I didn't have nearly enough drive and energy to do the things I usually enjoyed doing," Skye explained, readying her paws for a solo round, "I need to catch up on all the days I missed!"

"I thought you'd spend that time hanging out with Chase..." The Husky paused for a while, "You know, because he's your boyfriend?"

Yes. Boyfriend.

During that seemingly endless month while Marshall, Rocky, and Everest were away from the lookout, Chase and Skye began to grow close. Just like the rest of the remaining team, the two were struggling to come to terms with their own inner demons. Chase struggled with the possibility that he wasn't making the right choices, while Skye strained herself to hold the team together, leading to a slight deterioration to her own mental state.

Despite their own personal issues, though, there never seemed to be a moment where either of them weren't trying their best to look out for one another. There never seemed to be a moment when the two weren't trying their best to ensure that the other's mental health was remaining afloat during such a somber time. Together, they weathered the storm that spiraled around the PAW Patrol, as well as their own hearts.

Through those times, Skye found herself overwhelmed with an odd feeling. One that she never thought she would ever feel for one of her own teammates. Whenever she was around Chase, nothing else seemed to matter. The days spent talking with the Shepherd more openly than either of them ever had ignited a dormant flame in her heart. It sparked more romantic feelings to bubble to the surface.

It all came to head when Humdinger took over the train headed to Toronto. She had just landed atop the train to allow Ryder to reunite with both Marshall and Chase, and was unsure of what to do next. Before she could even figure that out, though, she found herself amidst a tense conversation between Marshall and Ryder. It was strange. The founding four members of the team were reunited once more, yet it didn't feel the same. It was like watching Ryder and Marshall speak to strangers. It was painful.

The interaction between them resulted in Skye's negative emotions rising. She wondered if it would ever be the same again. She wondered if Marshall would be able to come home, following his innocence being revealed. In her sorrow, there was only one pup she knew she could turn to for some support. Any kind of support. She needed Chase more than ever, just like how he needed her when everything first happened. Like always, just hearing his confident and comforting voice calmed her anxiety, leaving only one emotion left to express.

Before she even knew it herself, she had kissed the Shepherd, an obvious and sudden confession that Chase seemed to understand quickly. He kissed her back, and she enjoyed every second of their moment. Though, this didn't come without a good amount of embarrassment. She soon came to her senses, pulling away from the kiss and meeting Chase's shocked eyes.

Embarrassed and overwhelmed, the Cockapoo was quick to scramble back to her helicopter, wishing Chase luck on the impromptu mission.

Both Chase and Skye didn't have much time to address what happened between them following the mission. Chase was more focused on tying up loose ends concerning Humdinger along with Ryder, and Skye was busy helping get Marshall and Hood to the infirmary along with the other pups. And things only got busier in the days after Marshall woke up.