Chapter Sixteen: Remnants

Years Ago

It was a particularly hard night for Marshall.

Thunder boomed loudly through the skies of Adventure Bay. Rain pounded down on the surface of the lookout tower. It had been a few weeks since Marshall was adopted as Ryder's pup, and he was soon to begin his training to become a fire pup. Back in his early days at the lookout, he didn't have a pup house like Chase did, so he was given a pup bed and a blanket to sleep on the top floor of the newly constructed building.

Usually, he'd be fine with sleeping there. He always had been. Just the thought that Ryder was nearby was comforting to the little Dalmatian. Most nights he would look out of the opening and watch the stars until he found himself falling asleep. The stars in the night sparkled bright on most nights in Adventure Bay, glittering and shining through the usually dark night.

This night though, was not one of those nights.

Dark storm clouds were layered in the sky, blocking out both the moon and the stars. The area all around him was pitch black, only the light from distant lightning briefly illuminating the area around him. He didn't like it one bit, though, as every time he heard thunder roar above his head, he tried to hide further under his blanket, whimpering loudly.

He closed his eyes tight, hoping this nightmare would soon come to an end.

Meanwhile, in the sole pup house outside the lookout was a little Shepherd pup. He was always a tad mature for his age, growing used to being on his own at times. The sound of rain was actually quite soothing to the little officer. The gentle tapping of raindrops hitting the metallic surface of his pup house, the sound of trees swaying in the drafts caused by the storm, even the faint booms of thunder through the air.

His eyes were closed, yet he wasn't asleep. Ever since Marshall was invited to live with them, he couldn't allow his mind to wander and think about the young Dalmatian. He wondered how he was faring. This was the first real storm in Adventure Bay since Marshall came to the lookout. Maybe he could check on him. Maybe he could make sure he was okay. After all, he was soon to be second in command. He had to make sure his potential team mates were doing alright.

Another boom of thunder went above Chase's head, making him flinch. Marshall, though, yelped and tried to hide further under his blanket. He wasn't enjoying the night at all.

The little Dally, frightened out of his mind, shaking and crying under his cover, let out a loud whimper. He couldn't take another minute of this. He wanted to go somewhere else. Anywhere else where he didn't feel scared.

"Marshall?"

He screamed, not having expected to hear someone speak. He scrambled to his feet and tried to run, but the blanket over his head slipped from his head and onto the floor. Once he put a paw on it, it was only a matter of time before he slipped and went careening into a nearby wall.

Chase hurried over, "Are you okay?"

"I'm good!" He gives Chase a smile.

"I heard you whimpering when I came to check up on you..." The little Shepherd looked worried, "...Are you scared?"

"Scared!?" Marshall looked around nervously, "What? Of course not! I'm not—"

Thunder boomed once more, causing Marshall to yelp.

"So you're scared..." Chase nodded.

The future fire pup sighed, "Sorry, I didn't want you to worry about me... I didn't want to bother you..."

Chase only smiled, "You're not bothering me. We're friends, aren't we? You should feel comfortable telling me what's on your mind. I don't mind. I'll never mind."