Chapter Forty-Three: A Mayor's Motive

A small kitten balanced itself as it walked on the edge of a building's roof. It turned its head to look down at the area below it. As expected, it was looking down at the Foggy Bottom pound, watching many canines go about their days. The kitten then turned its focus to two canines in particular. Two that seemed to be smaller than the rest. A German Shepherd and a Dalmatian. Bullseye.

With one final glance at the two pups, the kitten turned around and began to look for a way down.

The aforementioned Dalmatian and Shepherd were walking from an abandoned pup park to the front gate of the pound, looking around anxiously as they walked to make sure there weren't any potential threats looking at them. After being trapped for around a day and a half in the Foggy Bottom pound, the duo had grown used to constantly looking over their shoulders in case there was another grown canine who wanted to toy around with the two for the simple reason that they could.

The Shepherd, Chase, had a plethora of bandages scattered around his body. It was a clear result of his reckless decision to step between Marshall and the three dogs who wanted to mess around with him. A reckless decision, but one he felt as though was right.

The Dalmatian, Marshall, also had his own set of bandages, but for injuries far less concerning than the ones plaguing the police pup. His mouth and nose were covered by a bright red scarf, which was tied neatly around his neck for the first time in what felt like ages. He was engaged in a long conversation with the Shepherd beside him concerning his scarf.

"So you're telling me that Liz girl gave you that scarf because she saw you as a part of her family?" Chase asked, mulling over the details he had been told over the course of their conversation.

Marshall nodded, "Yeah... We spent so much time together, and she taught me so many things... I kind of see her as family too."

With nothing better to do, the two spent the past day catching each other up on their lives. They both went through the events of the past few weeks, detailing what they had gone through while they were separated. Additionally, since Chase wanted to learn more about what Marshall had gone through, Marshall explained everything that had happened leading up to his suspension as well. This included Marshall admitting to his feelings for Everest when pushed on why he and Rocky had to go to Porter's to talk.

"...I still can't believe everything happened this way..." Chase's ears soon fell, "...Everything lined up too well when it came to your suspension. If only we had a piece of what you knew."

Marshall looked away, "Well, it's not like Ryder was gonna hear me out... He had his mind made up."

The little officer thought back on how Ryder's disposition changed following Marshall, Rocky, and Everest leaving the lookout. It was clear that it hit him harder than it had anyone else. But it was hard to argue with what Marshall was saying, especially since Ryder started distancing himself from Marshall after suspending him from the team. There was never an opportunity for Marshall to defend himself. Understanding that made it easy to understand why Marshall left the lookout to begin with.

"I wonder what could've happened if I decided to stand by you and Rocky when everything happened..." Chase thought out loud.

Marshall's brows raised, "Well, I don't think much would change..." He then looked at Chase, "But it would've been comforting to know that you were on my side at least."

"I know... Sorry..."

The awkward conversation soon grew into an uncomfortable silence. There still were a lot of things between them that needed to be addressed. While Chase had gotten around to believing Marshall's side of the situation, there were still a few things looming in their minds. Chase's initial reaction to Marshall's supposed crime, their fight in the construction site, and the brief words they shared following that fight.