Chapter Thirty-Four: Forest Friction

Far from Adventure Bay, deep into the forest, was a small wild community composed entirely of canines. In that miniscule settlement, though, the tides of change seemed to be washing over the location, eliciting a greater sense of excitement from the place. This settlement was affectionately declared the Canine Valley, a place where wild dogs, strays, and those without homes often found their way into. Recently, one of those wild dogs brought three dogs who were still considered to be those that had owners, three pups that were previously on a rescue team from a nearby town. While initially, their presence was met with disdain and scorn, a single night seemed to turn the public opinion in favor of the three.

When a thunderstorm hit the forest, a single bolt of lightning while the rain was letting up spurred on one of the worst forest fires ever seen from the wild dogs. When all hope seemed to be lost, and the possibility of abandoning the valley became all they could see, one of the Domestics, a Dalmatian, emerged from the ashes in order to lead a small group of canines to fight against the fire. Through strategy, grit, and sheer determination, the small team managed to rid the fire before it crept into the Canine Valley.

"Finally!" A familiar mixed breed pup exclaimed, throwing his paws into the air, "One brick!"

The sound of excited barking filled his ears, making his smile grow more in volume than it already had. One of the pups who had helped ward off the forest fire, Rocky, was in the middle of showcasing a new creation to a few dogs of the valley. A mycelium brick.

"...Okay, but what does this thing do?" One of the observing dogs, noticeably towering over every other dog in the area, asked with confusion, pawing at the block.

Rocky's eyes glimmered with confidence, "You see, Elder..." The mixed breed walked over and stomped as hard as he could on the brick, "These things are better than wood! They're more durable, easier to make, and even fireproof!"

"All that from some mushrooms?"

"Mushroom roots, actually."

A smile found its way onto the Pyrenees' face, "Impressive, little Mongrel. What do you plan on using them for?"

"Well, I was thinking that I could teach some of the strays how to make them so you guys can make better buildings... And maybe a better wall."

"What's wrong with our wall?"

Rocky's eyelids lowered, "It's basically a shabby fence, if I'm being honest. It's made of planks standing up. They aren't even connected."

"...I'll allow you to teach the dogs of the valley how to make them."

"Good choice."

While Rocky seemed to be focused on the industrial aspect of the settlement, he knew that having better and more plentiful materials to build with weren't all it took to improve the area's state of living. Sure, the lack of materials proved to be a problem when he and his friends had to worry about the valley burning down, but there was also the issue of food. One that he hoped was being solved by the pup who set out to do it.

Outside of the shabbily built walls was a Husky, who, alongside a Belgian Shepherd, was making her way back to the settlement, a small pack slung over her back. She wobbled while she walked, but a faint satisfied smile spread across her face.

"You think this is enough, Brutus?" She asked, struggling to keep her balance as the heavy load shifted on her back.

The black furred Shepherd beside her seemed to be having a lot less trouble holding a similarly weighted load on his back, "It should hold us over for a while..." He replied, "We will have to go back foraging in a few days, maybe less if they're not rationed right."