Epilogue: Namjoon

a/n: pls bear with me on the name switching/changing with joon's soulmate. her English name (Rain) is used when speaking English, her Korean name (Min-ji) is used when speaking Korean. I've always hated her names (I've renamed her three times)

May 30, 2020
Seoul, South Korea

"Namjoon hyung, it's two in the morning, please get some sleep."

Taehyung's voice is whiny. He has a lot of room to talk; his bedtime is usually near six am but thanks to his constant phone calls with Elle every night, I haven't slept in weeks. He can't complain about no sleep.

"I'm sorry, huh?" I say. "Chaeyoung has been in labor for five hours. Min-ji told me she'd keep me updated since I can't be at the hospital. If you expect me to settle down, you've got—"

"Well if you're gonna pace trenches into the floor, could you please do it not right next to the wall? Elle and I can hear your footsteps through the walls."

"Taehyung, I'm in my room," I say.

"Pace in the kitchen or something. Maybe a snack will calm your nerves." He runs a hand through his messy black hair and yawns. "I'm going back to bed."

Taehyung and Elle are pretty lax about the rules around their relationship. We all are. While technically the contract doesn't say anything about them having sleepovers or sleeping in the same room together, the two can't even kiss until she turns nineteen in August and being caught sharing Taehyung's bed wouldn't exactly be the best case scenario. The company worries that the media may warp their relationship into something it's not.

Their relationship is perfectly legal in America and even here in Korea, but the company is concerned about media using her American age versus the Korean consent laws and causing a massive and dangerous scandal for Taehyung. It's an unspoken rule in the house that none of us say anything about Elle hanging around or the two of them staying the night together when around company members. Even though it's for their safety, I can't help but let it slide when it seems Elle's one of the few people who can bring out his big smile these days.

I continue pacing in my room, waiting for some kind of text update from Rain. When my phone finally does chime, I nearly throw up from the shock and the nerves sitting in my chest.

Rain (Min-ji):
Chae's ready to go and gonna push at the next contraction. Could be really quick but this mf has a big ass head. You'd think you were the father or something.

I roll my eyes at that and choose to ignore her dumb jokes tonight.

Me:
I believe in you, Chae. Keep me updated, I know pushing can take a while.Ophelia said it took her best friend like six hours for their first kid. And she was a tiny little baby.

Rain (Min-ji):
God don't curse us to even more hours of this. She says the contractions aren't that bad but idk...he's a big kid, Joon.

Me:
I know, her belly just seemed to keep getting bigger.

Rain (Min-ji):
She's pushing I'll keep you updated. Don't stay up too late you work tomorrow.

I ignore the last bit of that message. Work's not enough to get much rest for these days. Besides, I wouldn't be able to sleep if I tried.

I tiptoe quietly through the hallway to grab a glass of water—or maybe some soju—to calm my anxious heart, but the moment I enter the kitchen, I'm startled by another presence.

Ophelia jumps when I clear my throat and crosses her arms over her chest. She's in one of Seokjin hyung's shirts and making tea. Her dark hair is messy around her shoulders. She looks young, so startled at nearly three in the morning.

"Hey," she says softly. "What are you doing up? I thought you were sleeping early."

I nod, crossing my own arms. "Chaeyoung went into labor a couple hours ago. I haven't been able to sleep."

She nods this time, stirring a bit of honey into the tea. "Want some?" She asks, lifting one of the two mugs to me.

"No, I think I might need something stronger."

Ophelia breathes out a laugh.

"Is Seokjin still up?" I ask, though I already know the answer.

Her cheeks flush and she hides her face behind a sip of her mug. "Yeah," she says simply. "Is she doing okay?"

I nod. "Yeah, apparently. Rain—or, Min-ji—says it shouldn't take too long, hopefully. She'll call me if anything changes."

"Keep us updated. I remember how nerve wracking it was when Rose went into labor with Vi." I promise that I will. Ophelia skirts past me with her two mugs of tea and a soft 'goodnight.' I take her place in front of the stove.

I settle on just one shot of soju for now, but keep the bottle close by. I just need something to take the edge off, even though it goes down like water. I'm left to simply wait. My phone buzzes in my pocket after I finish a bottle and a half and I grab it hastily, nearly dropping it on the floor in the process. A photo from Rain and Chae.

Rain (Min-ji):
Seo Jeongin :) he weighs almost eleven pounds lol. But she only pushed for two hours, so not too bad

I find myself laughing at the photo before I tear up immediately after. He—Jeongin—is a big kid. He sleeps in his mother's arms as the two women smile widely at the camera, Rain with tears tracked down her face. I scroll through the many photos and stare in awe at my godson.

Me:
When can I visit?

Rain (Min-ji):
No in hospital visits, but we should be home in a couple days. ASAP

I absentmindedly pour myself another shot as I zoom and scroll through each new photo that's sent to me. He's precious and I just wish I could've been there to see him. I wipe the tear away that falls on my cheek and send a photo to the members' group chat.

From: Me To: BTS
Seo Jeongin :)

I copy Rain's message, just something simple so I don't bother anyone from their well deserved rest.

I finally lay in my own bed, scrolling again through the pictures of my godson. Even though he's not really mine, it feels like he is. My chest is warm and a few persistent tears trail from my eyes onto my pillow as I look at the beautiful little boy. I love him this much already, I can only imagine how much more I'll love him when I hold him close for the first time.

Coming Soon: Twin Flame