Whimpers in the Library

"Hello, Miss, what brings you here?" a young woman inquired as soon as she approached the student council office. If her memory served her right, this was Mary, the secretary of the student council and the one who accompanied Jel during their initial meeting.

She offered Mary a reserved smile before replying, "Is President Lopez available?"

Nakita niya kung pa'no ito naghesitate bago sumagot, "Yes, but they're currently occupied with something important."

"Could you please inform them that I'm here to see them?" It seemed that Mary had no intention of letting her inside, perhaps a diligent secretary or someone with an interest in Jel.

Agad itong umiling bilang pagtanggi sa pakiusap niya. "President Lopez strictly emphasized that they're working on something important and shouldn't be disturbed."

Oh, but I could be a delightful distraction.

"Please, just tell them it's Miss Formentera." She added a persuasive smile to her plea, yet Mary simply shook her head, still sporting a friendly but firm expression.

She nodded in understanding and turned away. Perhaps she could try another time.

She had taken only a few steps away from the student council office when she was hailed. "Miss Formentera."

Umikot siya para harapin ito at nakita si Avery, who had been present with Jel when they explained the school policies to her class. "Miss Florido."

"Are you looking for the President? I'll inform them of your presence, Miss."

She thanked Avery, who then proceeded into Jel's office. Hindi niya kinalimutan na bigyan ng malawak na ngiti si Mary na nakatayo sa may gilid.

"They said you can go in." She didn't waste a moment and entered right away.

Nang makapasok siya ay nakita niya itong abala sa pagsusulat ng kung ano sa planner nito.

Pakunwari s'yang umubo para makuha ang atensyon nito na nagawa niya rin namang pukawin.

"Please, have a seat, Miss. Tell me what's on your mind." How long had it been since she last heard that voice? She couldn't even recall. Their previous encounter at the club, which marked their third meeting, had occurred nearly two weeks ago. This time, it wasn't because they didn't want to, or she didn't desire to, but because they were both swamped.

Jel, a third-year student and the student council president, and herself, a novice professor, both understood the need to excel at Avalon.

She hadn't come here to flirt or engage in any sort of romantic pursuit. She had a serious inquiry to make.

"One of my students asked me about accessing his academic and personal records. He inquired if it was possible, and since you're the president of the student council, I presumed you might have the answer. I know that only teachers like me can access any student's records." In truth, she had examined Jel's academic and personal records before scrutinizing her students'.

Jel nodded in response to her explanation. They placed their planner on the desk and began speaking. "Actually, yes, students can view and obtain copies of their records, but only with the approval of one of their proctors. Would you be willing to grant permission?"

"There shouldn't be any harm in it, correct?" She needed to make a decision after ensuring it was a safe choice.

"Absolutely. As long as it pertains to them, there's no harm, and it's entirely permissible."

She expressed her gratitude after receiving the response, and as she got ready to leave, Jel asked a final question, "Do you happen to know where the record building is?"