Garden of Possibilities

Jeanne found herself in the midst of her lunch with Sarai, Mahalia, and Laurielei, the pleasant chatter of her colleagues forming a comforting background noise. Amidst their conversation, a familiar voice cut through the air behind her.

"Good day, Professors."

She recognized the voice instantly. Jel. There was a warmth to their tone, a familiarity that Jeanne had come to appreciate. Sarai, seated in front of her, extended an invitation. "Don't you want to join us, Jel?"

"I'm good," Jel's warm response floated from behind.

"Are you sure?" Lia inquired once more, seeking confirmation.

"Yeah," they replied before a shuffle of movements confirmed they had taken a seat behind her. She waited a moment, then turned around, finding Jel sitting alone, their back to hers, absorbed in their meal.

"I can't believe it's only three months until the school year ends," she said, shifting her focus back to her colleagues as Sarai spoke.

"Right? I didn't realize it until I got swamped with paperwork," Lia commented with a heavy sigh.

"Not me. I'm safe," Laurielei said with a small smile.

"Seriously, how do you manage to work here as a part-time professor while pursuing a degree in forestry?" Sarai asked, her tone tinged with envy. Mahalia nodded in agreement.

Laurielei smiled back at her. "What about you, Jea?" Mahalia asked, turning the attention to her.

She raised a brow, pausing her spoon mid-air. "What about me?"

"How are you preparing for the finals?" Mahalia inquired, curiosity etched on her face.

"I try my best to manage my time well," she replied. Procrastination was a concept she actively avoided; unnecessary stress wasn't something she welcomed into her life. Plus, her household chores were minimal, thanks to her mother's insistence on managing most of them.

"Don't you find it exhausting traveling almost two hours to work five to six days a week?" Mahalia asked in disbelief. Lia lived in Quezon too, but her brother always gave her a ride, making her commute much more convenient.

"I've been doing it for months now, Lia. Don't worry, I'm managing just fine." Yes, it was tiring, but the thought of being away from her mother and cousins, her pillars of support, was more daunting than the fatigue.

"I told you, just stay with me in my apartment," Sarai offered, a recurring suggestion of hers.

"I don't want to inconvenience you," she replied. The idea of staying with someone other than her immediate family was unfamiliar territory.

"You won't inconvenience me. We can even split the expenses for the food," Sarai insisted.

She shook her head, smiling gently. "No, I'm okay, I promise."

"I wish you could stay with me," Laurielei said, her tone soft, giving her a genuine smile.

"That's very thoughtful of you, Lie."

"As if she could stay with you when you have your fiancé obsessing over you. He doesn't even let us stay over at your apartment because he wants you all for himself," Sarai commented with an eye roll, breaking their eye contact.

"Stop," Laurielei said, giving Sarai a stern look.

"I'm just saying. You've known her much longer than he has, yet he acts like he owns you. Possessive much?" Sarai said, laughing, earning an eye roll from Laurielei.

"Enough, Sarai. Let's not make fun of our friend here. Don't you forget you've been waiting for your childhood crush on the other side of the world for years," Mahalia chimed in, directing everyone's attention to Sarai.