Confessions of Attraction

The program designed to assist charities had concluded with resounding success, earning the approval of the board. As a reward for their hard work and dedication, the teachers and students were granted a well-deserved four-day, four-night vacation. The teachers had their substitutes arranged, while the students, including fourteen of them, were excused for two school days and two weekends.

On the bus ride to their destination, Avery turned to them with a sly grin and asked, "Do you want to exchange seats with me, Pres?" It was a subtle inquiry, an invitation to sit beside a particular professor.

They excused themselves politely to Mary, rising from their seat to accommodate Avery's offer. Avery took their place, and they made their way to the professor seated by the window.

"Hey," bati niya at saka naupo sa tabi nito.

"Hey," bati nito pabalik na hindi man lang siya binibigyang pansin.

"You don't seem like you're in the mood," they observed, puzzled by the professor's aloofness. Kaninang umaga pa ito hindi namamansin na pinagtataka niya dahil okay naman sila kahapon. They couldn't help but wonder if this had anything to do with the events of the previous night.

"I don't really travel much," the professor replied, providing a vague explanation for their mood. "I thought you wouldn't go?" she asked, resting her head against the cool glass of the window.

"I changed my mind." They hadn't initially planned on joining the trip, but after days of hard work crafting blankets for the charities, they felt the need for a break. "Don't you want to talk?" They realized too late that their question sounded rather absurd.

Jeanne finally turned her attention to them, a look of confusion in her eyes. "About what?" She asked.

They honestly didn't have a specific answer to their own question, so they stood up instead. "I'll leave you for now."

Agad siya nitong hinawakan sa pulsuhan para pigilan siya sa paghakbang. "No, stay."

"No. Just tell me when you want to talk again." Without waiting for her to respond, they began to make their way back to their original seat. On the way, nakasalubong niya ang isa sa mga professors niya n'ng first year siya na ngayon ay kasama na sa mga advisers.

"Will you sit there again?" Professor Cortez gestured to the empty seat behind Jeanne.

"No, Sir," they replied promptly, shaking their head.

"I'll take the seat," Professor Cortez decided, and they acquiesced, finding an empty seat just behind Avery. The bus continued its journey, carrying them all toward their much-anticipated vacation, while questions and unspoken words lingered in the air.

*****

Gabi na nang makarating sila sa Batangas dahil halos apat na oras ang itinagal ng biyahe nila dala ng matinding traffic kaya sinabihan silang magpahinga na muna at matulog bago magsimula sa mga activities na pwede nilang gawin kinabusakan.

They were accommodated in a spacious villa boasting eight rooms. This arrangement posed no issues, as most decided to share rooms in pairs, with each room offering a comfortable queen-sized bed.

Hindi siya sanay na matulog nang may kasama kaya napili n'yang magstay na lang sa isang kwarto na siya lang. At dahil naninibago pa siya rito ay hindi niya magawang makatulog kaya naisip n'yang lumabas na lang muna para magpahangin.

Jel found themselves seated by the edge of the villa's pool, their feet and legs dangling in the cool water. Itinigil niya ang paghipak sa vape na hawak niya nang biglang may nagsalita sa likod niya. Mabuti na lang din at hindi siya magugulatin.