Tangled Emotions

Jeanne remained silent after they explained how Avery had learned about their involvement with each other. It seemed like she needed some time to process the information, so Jel decided to let her be.

Once they finished washing their hands, they joined the others.

"Oh, you guys are still eating?" they greeted the rest of their companions who were still gathered around the table.

"No, Pres, we're just talking about stuff," sagot ni Maisy na isa sa mga representative ng high school students. "And our great secretary here is complaining that you aren't teaching her how to do pottery."

"I'm sorry, Mary. As much as I'd love to teach you, I can't claim to be an expert," Jel apologized as they took a seat beside the quiet woman.

"I didn't say anything like that, Pres," mabilis na pagtanggi ni Mary habang umiiling.

"She did," Melissa, one of the historians, chimed in.

"You like Pres, don't you?" Jared, the playful one, teased.

"Who doesn't like Pres?" Mary retorted with a raised brow at him.

"Everybody likes Pres, but not in that way," agad na laban nito sa sinabi ni Mary na ikinatango ng iba pa nilang kasama.

"What way?" Mary challenged.

"Everyone here knows that you like them," Avery added with a light laugh.

"You guys are talking as if your president isn't sitting right in front of you," Miss Abad said, shaking her head, but she also had a smile on her face.

Dahil do'n ay nagtawanan ang lahat bukod sa kan'ya, kay Mary, at ang babae sa tabi niya.

"Do you really like me, Mary?" Jel asked once the laughter died down.

"Come on, Mary, just admit it," Jared teased.

"Sus, kunwari pa," Melissa added.

"Just confess. You don't have anything to deny," Maisy encouraged.

Mary sighed and shot each of them a sharp look before admitting, "Yes, I do like you, Pres."

Jel smiled at her confession. "Thank you for liking me, Mary."

"Is there any hope for Mary?" Avery chimed in again, causing everyone to fall silent, awaiting Jel's response.

"I don't want to give her any false hope, so I must be honest. I'm not looking for anything serious right now. Maybe in the future, but not when I'm busy being your president." They smiled at the group, but most of them wore disappointed expressions.

"Ang ganda-ganda kaya ni Mary, Pres!" hirit pa ni Maisy.

"I didn't say she isn't. In fact, she's very attractive. But, as I said, I'm not looking for anything right now," Jel explained, trying to prevent any misunderstandings.

"Sa future na lang daw po, 'di ba, Mary?" Jared attempted to lift his friend's spirits.

"It's fine. You guys are the ones making it seem like there's more to it than there is! I just like Pres, that's all. They don't need to like me back." With that, Jel offered Mary a high-five.

Afterward, they continued to eat while the others engaged in conversation on various topics. Mary became quiet, which was understandable. There was another person who remained silent beside them, but Jel chose not to initiate a conversation with her.

Nang matapos silang kumain ay nauna na itong nagpaalam, pero bago 'yon ay nakita n'yang saglit nitong kinausap si Avery sa hindi kalayuan.

"What did you two talk about?" they asked Avery once Jeanne had disappeared.