Locked in Passion

"Yes, Sir?" She immediately took her seat in front of his desk, placing both palms on her thighs.

Director Landicho greeted her with a warm smile as soon as he laid eyes on her. "How has your experience been here in Avalon so far, Miss Formentera?"

"It's been fine. I like it here." Inayos niya ang upo niya nang tumayo ito at saka umupo sa sofa sa harap niya.

"I'm glad to hear that. How about being an adviser to the student council? Do you enjoy it?" muling tanong nito at saka siya inabutan ng almond chocolate galing sa isang garapon.

Umiling siya bilang pagtanggi rito. "I don't eat chocolates, Sir, but thank you for the offer. And thank you for allowing me to be one of the advisers."

Director Landicho responded with a simple "Oh," only commenting on her aversion to chocolates. "Anything for you," he added, referring to the opportunity she had been given. "What are your plans for this evening?" pag-iiba nito ng usapan.

She paused, not having any plans in mind. "Nothing, Sir."

Director Landicho hesitated for a moment before smiling again. "Would you mind having dinner with me somewhere?"

"Sir?" gulat na reaksyon niya sa tanong nito.

"Please?" he pleaded, clasping his hands together.

Wala naman na s'yang choice, hindi ba? "I won't mind at all, Sir."

"That's great!" he exclaimed with enthusiasm. "Shall I send you the address or have someone pick you up?"

"Just send me the address, Sir." It wouldn't be appropriate for someone to know that they were going out together.

*****

JEL's side

"I told you, I'm fine with not celebrating my birthday," Celine, their younger sister, complained as they both exited the car.

For the ninth time that night, Jel sighed. Palagi na lang silang ganito sa tuwing magb-birthday ang isang 'to. "This isn't a celebration of your birthday. I'm just taking you out for dinner," pagdadahilan niya at saka ito pinagbuksan ng pinto ng papasukan nilang restaurant.

"Whatever, Tine."

Bago pa siya makapagsalita ay may tumawag sa pangalan niya na agad nya rin namang nilingon.

"Director Landicho," gulat na tawag niya rito habang marahan na ipinuwesto ang kamay sa likod ng kapatid niya para hindi ito magpunta sa kung saan at takasan siya.

"I didn't expect to see you here, Jel."

"Me neither, Director." They shook hands with genuine smiles.

"Is she your date?" pagtukoy nito kay Celine na tahimik lang na nakatayo sa gilid niya.

They both shook their head instantly. "Oh, no, she's my sister."

"Oops, my bad," he said, and they all shared a light laugh before another familiar face emerged, catching their attention simultaneously.

What is she doing here?

"Have you met Miss Formentera?" Director Landicho gently placed his hand on Jeanne's back, pulling her towards them.

Masuri niya itong pinagmasdan bago sumagot. "Yes, Director, I did."

"Right! I almost forgot that you are the president of the student council now. You've come a long way." The elderly man appeared oblivious to any tension between the two women.

"Thanks, Director." Jeanne Muli n'yang ibinalik ang tingin sa propesora na tahimik lang ding nakatingin sa kan'ya habang ang mga mata ay animo'y puno ng pag-aalala.