Testing Her Limits

"I heard you're going to have an opening speech this Monday," Jel stated casually as they wiped a mysterious white substance from their fingers, their eyes locking onto her with an impish gleam.

"Yes," she confirmed, her fingers deftly smoothing her pencil skirt as she tried to maintain her composure.

"It must be quite the sight, watching you struggle to speak while something vibrates between your thighs."

Her eyes widened in shock at the audacious remark. "What the hell, Jel?' she exclaimed, attempting to divert her mind from the provocative image they'd just painted.

"What?" Jel responded with a sly grin, a faint chuckle escaping their lips.

"Let's not go there, okay? I'd rather not embarrass myself in front of everyone." She picked up her phone from the table and used the camera to check her face. Her lipstick bore the evidence of a passionate encounter only moments ago, and she couldn't help but smile.

"I'm just suggesting, no need to take it so seriously," Jel said, taking a moment to clean their own face with a wet wipe before offering it to her. "Are you considering it?"

"No," she answered firmly, her determination to excel in her first-ever public speech on Avalon outweighing the temptation.

"Then it's settled," Jel said, rising from their chair to open the office door for her. "How about going out with me tonight?"

"I can't," she replied with a regretful shake of her head.

"But it's Friday," Jel argued with a playful pout.

"I have work to do, and there's my speech—"

"Yeah, I get it. Your speech this Monday," Jel sighed, granting her exit but not without delivering a cheeky slap to her rear. "Take care, Miss, your knees still seem a bit weak."

Rolling her eyes, she left the office, finally making her way to the cafeteria where three professors awaited her.

"Are you alright, Jea?" Professor Fontanilla asked as soon as she arrived, concern etched on her face.

"Yes, Lia. Just had a strenuous leg day yesterday," she lied, offering a casual smile to reassure them.

"You might have overdone it," Professor Vallarida chimed in, showing genuine concern.

"I think I did," she replied, managing a light laugh to mask the unease that still lingered.

"Why don't you consider skipping your class for now?" The third professor's voice surprised her. It was Professor Landicho, daughter of Director Iandrei Landicho. Laurielei had never spoken to her before. Her first introduction was with Professor Mahalia Fontanilla, who had once substituted for her, and later, Professor Sarai Vallarida and Professor Laurielei Landicho were introduced to her.

"I'm fine," she insisted, eager to change the topic. With that, the four of them settled down to enjoy their meal, the atmosphere lightening as they shifted their focus away.

*****

She spent her weekend engrossed in finalizing her speech and meticulously grading her students' papers. Kahit ilang beses na s'yang nabo-bore sa ginagawa ay hindi niya ito tinitigilan dahil sa wala rin naman siyang ibang gagawin at ayaw niya rin namang lumabas.

"Hoy, bruha! Ano ba 'yang pinagkaka-abala mo?" Niamh barged into her room unceremoniously, flopping down on her bed without a care in the world.

She turned to Niamh, clearly surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"Ikaw kaya una kong tinanong." Niamh grabbed the teddy bear at the foot of her bed and embraced it.

"Nagch-check lang ng mga schoolwork, why?" she replied, returning her attention to the papers on her desk.