Breaking Ties

The following morning, they awoke to find that their call had abruptly ended, courtesy of their phone's untimely demise. With a sigh of resignation, they navigated their way to the kitchen to fetch a refreshing drink, but fate had a different plan. Their foot came perilously close to landing on one of the tiny kittens.

They knelt down swiftly, concern etched across their face, to inspect the little one for any signs of injury. Luckily, there seemed to be no harm done, except for a small wound on its neck that bore the ominous signs of an infection.

In a rush of determination, they took a hasty shower and gathered up the fragile kittens before making a beeline for the nearest veterinary clinic. They understood Jeanne's deep affection for these little creatures and knew better than to ignore their well-being. It was evident that these kittens were more than just pets; they were a vital part of Jeanne's world.

After a visit to the clinic, they returned home, leaving the kittens in the capable hands of the veterinarian, who assured them that the furry companions would receive proper care. It appeared that their return to the apartment would be delayed.

Habang nagpapahinga sa sofa ay biglang bumukas ang pinto ng unit niya lulan ang isang tao na hindi niya inaasahan. Hindi naman na siya nagulat na agad lang itong nakapasok, pero nagtaka lang siya kung bakit ito nandito gayong sinabi nito na abala ito ngayong araw.

They rose from the couch and greeted the newcomer with a tender kiss on the forehead, a cherished gesture when they were alone, different from Jeanne's customary cheek-kiss greeting.

"Oh, you're here. I didn't know that you'd be here," they said, trying and failing to conceal the excitement in their voice. Fortunately, Jeanne paid it no mind.

"Where are the kittens?" Jeanne inquired, her eyes darting around the apartment, failing to spot any sign of the feline companions. Mukha ngang totoo na may kaagaw na talaga siya sa atensyon nito bukod sa trabaho nito.

"Aren't you going to sit down first?" they countered, guiding her gently to the sofa.

"Did you throw them out?" Jeanne scrutinized them with suspicion.

Their eyes widened, and they defensively crossed their arms. "No, I didn't."

"Then where are they?" Jeanne persisted, scanning the room.

"I took them to the vet for a check-up. You mentioned you'd be busy today, so I didn't want to bother you," they admitted softly, soothingly massaging her shoulders. "Do you want me to fetch them?"

The tactic seemed to work, as they heard her sigh in relief. "Can we retrieve them together?"

*****

At the clinic, while Jeanne watched over the kittens safely ensconced in their cage, they queried the veterinarian about their well-being. "How are they, Doc?"

"They're fine. I just administered the necessary vaccinations, and I recommend getting some flea shampoo for them. Warm water baths will help with the fleas," the vet advised. After inquiring about their dietary needs, they rejoined Jeanne at the kittens' side.

"Poor babies.Paliliguan ko kayo mamaya ha?" Jeanne cooed to the meowing kittens.

"Let's go," they suggested, prompting Jeanne to turn her attention to them.

"Where? Aren't we going to get them?" Jeanne asked, gesturing toward the kittens.

"We will, but let's first purchase what they need," they replied, earning a radiant smile from Jeanne.

"Let's go!"

*****

They ventured into a bustling pet store, their mission clear: to gather supplies, food, and the whimsical toys that Jeanne desired for the kittens. Habang tahimik na nag-iikot ay biglang may pamilyar na boses ang tuwag sa kan'ya. Gamit nito ang nickname na tanging ito lang ang nagbigay sa kan'ya noon.