Unintended Confession

"Are you all good?" Jel asked, finishing up the setup of the portable cat bag in front of Jeanne's body. The bag contained Peanut, while the one they carried held Butter.

"Yeah," Jeanne replied with a nod.

They rode the elevator and made their way to a nearby park. Once they arrived, inilatag niya ang blanket na dala nila bago sila maupo sa damuhan at bago palabasin sa mga portable cat bags sina Peanut and Butter.

Jeanne wasted no time in playing with the kittens, showering them with gentle pats, belly rubs, and chin scratches.

"Do you want me to get something for you? An ice cream maybe?" Jel asked, noticing Jeanne fanning herself due to the afternoon heat. The sun was at its peak, and it was past 3 in the afternoon.

She nodded her head, and they got up to buy ice cream from a nearby vendor.

They returned with two Cornetto cookies and cream ice creams. The two of them started eating in silence, watching the kittens play on the lush green grass.

Jel noticed a small smudge of ice cream on Jeanne's cheek. Without a word, they pulled out a handkerchief and gently wiped it off her face, a gesture that felt oddly familiar.

Jeanne looked at them with surprise before offering a small smile. "Thanks."

This time, siya naman ang nakikipaglaro kina Peanut and Butter habang tahimik naman ito na namamasid sa kanila.

"I didn't know you liked lollipops that much," Jeanne commented as they popped another lollipop into their mouth. They had been enjoying one since they started walking to the park.

Jel stopped their attention on the kittens and turned to look at her. "Uh, yeah. I've always liked them."

"It's my first time seeing you have one," she remarked, squinting her eyes.

"I'm sure it won't be the last." They tried to brush off the topic, but they could sense her curiosity. She seemed like she wanted to ask again but chose not to. It was probably for the best. They couldn't just tell her, "It's because I don't have someone to kiss, and I hope that someone could be you."

*****

JEANNE'S side

She allowed them to rest, sensing that they had no intention of speaking further. Tahimik lang silang dalawa na nakaupo habang pinapanood ang mga kuting. Ilang pulgada lang ang layo nila sa isa't-isa kaya nang lingunin niya ito ay nakita niya ang paghikab nito matapos tanggalin ang stick ng lollipop sa bibig na puno ng kagat.

"Are you sleepy?" she asked, her concern evident. They seemed exhausted, more so than when she first saw them a few hours ago.

"Just a little," they replied, stifling another yawn.

"Do you want us to go back so you can take a nap?" she suggested. Hindi naman malayo ang pinanggalingan nila kaya hindi naman magtatagal kung babalik sila. Tutal ilang oras na rin silang nasa labas at palubog na rin ang araw.

"No, I'm good. I just had a hard time sleeping last night," they explained, resting their head on their knees.

She couldn't help but roll her eyes discreetly at their stubbornness. "Come on," she insisted, stretching her legs over the blanket and patting her thighs.

Jel raised their head, looking confused. "What?"

"Take a nap," she stated, leaving no room for argument.

"What about the kittens?" tanong nito pagkatapos lingunin ang mga kuting na naglalaro sa malapit.

"I can take care of them. They won't stray too far," she assured them, patting her thighs once more to emphasize her point.