Chapter 2

Azriel

"She did really well on her exams," I said into the phone.

    "Oh? Did she now?"

    "Yes, she has a lot of potential."

    "She's a kid, Azriel. She doesn't have what it takes to be a Mariposa. She doesn't know what it takes."

     "What do you want from me?" I asked with a heavy sigh.

     "I will send you her first assignment."

    I looked at the phone, wincing when I saw the assignment. "Don't you think this is a bit much to ask from her?"

     "We need to know she can kill, Azriel."

    I let out yet another long sigh, my head falling back.

                                                                                         ****

Maeve

    My stomach was in knots as I headed to Azriel's office. Had I done something wrong? I knocked hesitantly on the door. A moment later, Azriel's gentle but firm voice replied.

    "Come in, Maeve."

    Slowly I opened the door. He gestured his head to the chair across from his at the other side of his desk. I sat down, forcing a shaky smile on my face.

    "To what do I owe the pleasure, sir?"

    "I have your first assignment ready as a Mariposa," he said, sliding a manila envelope across the desk to me.

     I frowned, my brows furrowed in confusion. "But I thought all the new recruits went on a mission together?"

    He nodded. "Let's just say... You're a bit of a special case," his tone was light, but his expression was tight like he was holding back a grimace. 

    I chewed on my lip, sighing. "What you mean is they want me to prove myself more than the rest?"

    He winced, a sheepish smile creeping its way onto his face. "You were always too smart for your own good."

    I nodded. "Fine. So be it." I started to open the envelope when his hand reached out to stop me.

    "It's best you don't read it. I will be guiding you on this first assignment myself."

    I withdrew my hand, feeling even more pensive.

                                                                                               ****

    We left in the dead of night. I met Azriel at the door of our headquarters. 

    "Follow me closely, Maeve. We'll be going to the middle tier," he said, looking sternly into my eyes.

   I nodded. Without another word, he leapt off the small ledge, plunging down. I leapt after him, the wind hitting my face like a missile. As we sank, we left the glittering lights and tall buildings of the highest tier. Between the tiers was nothing but clouds. The dew stuck to my skin, making it slick. I watched carefully for Azriel's monarch wings, careful not to lose sight of him in the cloud coverage.

    Finally, we broke through the clouds into the middle tier. I flexed my back, allowing my wings to open up, stopping my fall. Azriel was already flying along the skyway, sticking to the shadows. I followed closely behind him.

    The route was full of twists and turns. Along the way, I couldn't help but notice graffiti on the walls. Most of it protesting the queen. We slowed down as we reached a neighborhood of family homes. I frowned. What did the mission have to do with this?