Chapter 24

Maeve

We trained for hours in the clouds, trying to cram a lifetime of lessons into Elyas' head. As the sun disappeared and the moon hovered near, casting a brilliantly dim glow on the clouds, we finally rested.

"There's no way we're going to take out the Mariposa by ourselves, you know that, right?" Kalon deadpanned as she reclined against the clouds.

I nodded. "Of course I'm aware."

"What do you suggest we do about that?" Elyas asked quietly.

My lesson earlier had seemed to humble him. He had been oddly quiet the whole day. I looked him in the eyes, my gaze becoming intense, commanding.

"Take us to Veralis."

His jaw clenched in response as he glanced between the two of us.

Kalon frowned. "What is Veralis?"

"You'll find out as soon as he takes us. Right, Elyas?" I said, my tone firm, still glaring at Elyas.

He nodded slowly. "We have to be careful though. Mariposa are all over that place, along with royal guards. The guards respect my position as prince, but they aren't too fond of my presence in Veralis."

Kalon tilted her head. "Where are people fond of you, Prince Charming?"

He winced.

***

Maeve

We followed the prince down through the clouds until we reached the familiar ruins and the factory that stood tall in the middle. It was built like an old fortress, or a prison, with guard towers at the four corners. It was dark and glooming, almost completely blocking the light of the stars in the night sky.

"Keep behind me," Elyas instructed firmly.

Kalon and I formed up, keeping just behind him as we made our way to the factory doors.

"What is this place?' Kalon asked in a horrid awe.

"It's where wings are made... And people are broken," Elyas said, adding the last part quietly.

Two guards stood at the doors and immediately rose to attention at us. "Your Highness. The factory is closed from visitations for the night. But we'll gladly see you in the morning." He stopped, glancing at us. "Alone, that is."

Elyas scoffed. "They're with me. And we're visiting now."

The guard shook his head. "I can't allow it, Your Highness. Orders from the queen."

Kalon laughed, suddenly behind the two guards. "The queen isn't here right now," she said, before swiftly poking a dart into their necks. The two guards instantly went limp, going down.

Down. Down. And down.

Elyas and I gaped at her, but she shrugged, kicking the doors open.

Her spunk was zapped out of her though as the doors revealed the horrors behind them. I had thought surely the factory would be asleep, but such was not the case. At the very end of the long hall was a massive furnace, filling the building with heat comparable to the inside of a volcano. It was dense, palpable and made it hard to breathe. Veralians still slaved away at anvils, or on the conveyors, or in shipping. They were being whipped, harassed. Some were thrown into the flames.

Kalon's fists clenched before us.

"I'm killing them all," she growled, stomping her way towards a guard.

Elyas leapt, grabbing her and pulling her back. "The only one you'll kill is yourself." He paused, looking at me. "We're here. Now why?"

I stared at the flames in the furnace, the gears in my head working.

"Let's start a fire," I said quietly.

Taking off one of my wrist guns, I put it on Elyas. He eyed it warily before looking up at me.

"What do you want me to do with this?"

I looked over at the floor to ceiling furnace encased by cement walls.

"Plant bombs on the walls. Walls explode, fires spread, chaos happens, people escape."

Looking at Elyas again, I narrowed my eyes. "Try to get out as many Veralians as you can. Tell them to steal some finished wings, if they can. We'll need their help if we want to fight the Mariposa."

He nodded emphatically.

The three of us separated with a final look. I clung to the shadows, weaving my way around people. A couple times, I stopped to whisper in a Veralian's ear, warning them something was about to go down. To my relief, they safely passed the word along. I stopped as I got closer to the furnace, sweating and panting from the heat. I couldn't begin to fathom how Veralians worked here nonstop.

That's the kind of strength that creates soldiers. At least that's what I told myself.

My eyes widened as I watched Elyas stride right up to the furnace in plain sight. What in the world was he doing?!

A guard stopped to talk to him, and I watched with fearful anticipation. The two talked for a moment until Elyas put his hand on the man's shoulder, giving it a firm pat. He pulled him closer, his eyes catching mine. He winked before planting a bomb behind the man's head. I couldn't help but grin, going back to doings my way. I managed to sneak over to the side of the furnace and planted a bomb there.

I glanced up to see Kalon grinning down at me from atop the furnace. How she managed to get up there unnoticed, I don't know. Catching Elyas' eyes, I gestured towards the door. He got the message, quickly alerting some Veralians. Kalon hopped down with me, and we started towards the doors slowly, warning Veralians as we went.

Halfway there, a Veralian stopped me. A woman, little more than skin and bones, somehow still clinging to life though she looked almost old enough to be my grandmother. Her eyes looked dazed as she stared at me.

"You look just like her. Could it be... You look just like your mother." she said in a heartbreakingly reverent tone.

Kalon, who had been rushing me, froze along with me at the words.

I stepped closer, a lump lodging itself in my throat. "You knew my mother?"

The woman smiled even though it looked like just doing that was a fight.

"She was my best friend. She loved you more than life itself." She glanced away, a different type of pain filling her eyes. "I suppose that's the reason she's gone... and you're still here."

Tears filled my eyes, and I opened my mouth to ask more when a loud bang went off, sounding like a lightning clap. The heat spread rapidly, intensifying, as the room became bright white.

Kalon swore, taking my hand. "We have to go!! Now!!" she yelled, fighting the urge to dart.

I looked at the woman's fearful and confused eyes, then too late looked to see a mob of people running towards us. They trampled the woman before my eyes, pushing Kalon and I towards the door as another bang went off. I screamed a gut-wrenching shriek, an animalistic desperation coming over me.

She was all I had left.

Turning, I flailed helplessly at the crowd. I tried to get myself in the air, but ended up just getting pulled back down. Kalon finally grabbed me, yanking me with her out of the factory as the last bomb went off and the roof collapsed.

Right along with my last shred of hope.