Chapter 29

Maeve

Fortunately, dying was not necessary. By the time the west quadrant group came back to the lobby, the other quadrants had been successfully informed of the truth of what had happened here, and persuaded to join forces. Everyone on the same page now, we gathered in the main lobby. Veralians joined the elite Mariposa, filling the room to its brim in a way it hadn't been filled in at least a decade.

It was a strange and beautiful sight to behold, Veralians conversing joyously with the ones who had enforced their very torture. Kalon, Elyas and I stood at the front of the lobby, watching them. I turned towards Elyas.

"Would you like to address our new army, Prince Elyas?"

He smiled, giving a quick bow. "It would be my honor."

"Veralians! Mariposa! Today we gather a new army that is forged through truth and freedom. We will train together and get to know one another as we plan our invasion, and elimination, of the corrupt Mariposa. Tonight, however, will be a celebration. In the kitchen we discovered some rations that were left behind. It's canned food, but it's better than nothing. We will get to know one another and break bread together. Maeve, Kalon and I will get a fire going in the main hearth as well. Enjoy yourselves, and get to know your new brethren, members of the Swallowtails."

Cheerful roars erupted throughout the lobby as the group dispersed, talking to one another. Kalon and I got the fire going, filling the room with its light and warmth.

"It's going to take a lot of work to get this place going. Especially with our limited resources," Kalon said quietly as she warmed herself by the fire.

I nodded. "The first step will be in finding a better, and safer way through that storm. Once we've done that, we can travel between here and the ruins of Veralis. There, we can salvage more supplies."

"Obviously, we'll still have to watch for Mariposa. It won't be long before Azriel realizes that his men aren't coming back."

I shrugged. "We've just taken his best manpower though. If we can't avoid them, it will be a much easier fight now. Still difficult, but the odds of survival are much better."

Kalon smiled at me. "I was skeptical, but maybe there is some hope in this ragtag group after all."

Elyas joined us, apparently finished conversing with the new army. "What's going on over here?" he asked, a grin on his face.

"Planning," I answered simply.

He nodded, sobering. "We will need a leader. I was talking to the Swallowtails. They agreed we should vote."

I arched one brow. "A leader, huh? Like what, a king?"

Elyas couldn't fight the smile creeping onto his face. "More or less."

Kalon tilted her head. "I'm guessing you are throwing your name in the rink for consideration."

His hands shot up in a mock show of surrender. "Well, only if you insist on nominating me."

I opened my mouth to reply when a Veralian interrupted with a shout. "We nominate Ezekiel as the first nominee for our leader!"

Kalon, Elyas and I shared a look. Smiling sheepishly, I responded:

"If anyone has any nominations, I ask that they be presented to me by the end of the day. We will vote between them tomorrow."

They seemed happy with that decision, going back to conversing with one another. I grinned at Elyas.