Chapter 22

Maeve

I followed him. He took me down several halls until we stopped at some locked double doors. He fished in his pocket, pulling out a key. He unlocked it and carefully pushed it open. My eyes widened impossibly huge as I took it all in.

Before me was a library TOWER. I make no exaggeration when I say it must've been fifteen stories tall. He smiled and took my hand, helping break me out of my paralysis to step inside.

"I... I don't know where to start."

He shrugged. "What are you looking for?"

I hesitated as the answer came to me. "I want to know more about Veralis... I'm curious about what's going on there."

I saw his jaw clench from the corner of my eyes. Almost reluctant, he pulled me to a secluded corner of the library. He scoured the rows a moment, before handing me a book. The book had no title, but upon opening it, it read "The History of Veralis".

I winced at the size of the book.

"I can give you the abridged version, Maeve," he said softly, like he was worried he would frighten me away like a scared animal.

I looked up to him. "Please? What is that place? Who are those people? And why did the Mariposa hide it from me?"

"Veralis is a place few know about... Even fewer care. At one time, it was its own kingdom. Small but optimistic. Foolishly, they tried to contend with us. Greedily, we made them pay." He averted his gaze and I knew there was more. "Arcelia utterly destroyed them. But some of the people remained. Those survivors were made into slaves to do Arcelia's bidding."

My blood ran cold as my hands shook. I stepped back slightly.

"I wonder... If maybe..." I muttered, scared to voice the question.

"If that's where you're from?" he finished for me quietly.

My heart skipped a beat at the voiced thought. Still processing, my heart jumped out of my throat when he suddenly grabbed me. One hand around my waist, the other on my mouth. He yanked me into the very corner, leaning down to whisper in my ear.

"We're not alone."

I looked and sure enough, there were flashlights in the library. I assumed they were guards, but as one came our way, I saw it was Mariposa.

That was so much scarier.

"Climb, Maeve. They're going to find us," Elyas whispered.

I looked beside me to see a ladder. I swallowed as the Mariposa came closer.

"Go!" he whisper-shouted.

Taking a deep breath, I started up the ladder, jumping every four rungs. Elyas followed right after me. I reached the second story when they noticed us.

"There! Open fire!"

I swore, jumping on top of the narrow bookcase as a bullet came flying at what would've been my ankle. I leaned down, reaching out my hand. Elyas jumped for it, grabbing me and pulling himself up. Another shot fired at us, hitting my side. Gasping in pain, I felt my body tilt at the impact. He grabbed me and pulled me upright, before pushing me forward. I took off running as they fired over and over at my feet. I skipped and hopped, praying all my training as an assassin would pay off.

At the edge now, I swallowed before leaping across to the top of another bookshelf. Turning on one foot, I watched Elyas gauge it.

"Come on! I'll catch you!"

I swore as a Mariposa fired at me. I jumped out of the way and leaned forward to offer my hand. A Mariposa dove for him from the air and Elyas narrowly swerved him, leaping off and throwing himself at me. I caught him, turning us around and pushing him this time. We took off running once again and watching Elyas gave me secondhand anxiety. He wasn't exactly as graceful as I was.