Chapter 12

Maeve

My nerves were in knots as we arrived at the HQ. Kalon lead me to Azriel's office, then stopped.

"I'll be standing right outside the door, Just call me if you need me," she said,

I nodded, mouthing a "thank you". I opened the door as I took a deep breath. Azriel's head shot up at me coming in. Swallowing, I closed the door behind me and sat down.

"I'm here to report on my mission, Azriel."

"Were you successful? Why was the last thing I heard was you giving up your cover? Why did you and the prince disappear off the radars?"

"I gave up my cover in order to lure the prince into a false sense of security. We had already made contact when I learned he was my target. To push that trust, I destroyed traces of us. This allowed me to kill him without trouble."

Azriel stared hard at me, his eyes peering right through me. I had to clench my fists to resist squirming in his gaze.

"The prince is dead?" he asked, skepticism coating his tone.

I nodded. "The prince is dead."

Azriel tilted his head. "Where is his body?"

"I dumped it in the lower tier while flying. It will be just another body in that region. They hate him there anyways."

He looked away, sighing. "That's smart, but I do wish you had brought me his body."

I clenched my fists tighter. "Why? Do you need proof? Do you doubt me?"

He shook his head. "Forget it, Maeve. Congrats on a successful mission. You're free to go."

Slowly I stood, praying he didn't notice that my legs were barely holding me up.

***

Azriel

"Maeve has returned. She explained the situation to me. I can assure you the prince is dead."

"I want his head," came their cold reply.

"His body was dumped mid-flight in the lowest tier."

"Get her to find me the head."

I sighed. "May I ask why?"

"I need to KNOW his heart stopped beating. Either send the girl to get his body or send a search party for him. If he turns up alive, there will be serious consequences."

"Yes, as you wish. I will send a search party. I believe Maeve needs rest right now."

"So be it."

***

Maeve

I came back to Kalon, who looked at me with concern.

"So? How did it go?" she asked,

I took her wrist, leading her where no one would overhear. "I think I got him to believe I killed the prince."

Kalon nodded. "Now what?"

I shrugged, "I have to go back to him. The man will be hunted on his own in the lower regions. He doesn't even have any wings on him."

Kalon gaped at me. "How long will you remain with him? Azriel will notice your absence, Maeve."

"As long as I need to, I guess." I paused, averting my gaze. "Even if it means deserting the Mariposa completely."

"Why?! What has this man done to deserve such treatment?!"

I whirled on her, my blood pumping. "What has he done to deserve death? You don't even know, Kalon. You don't know what any of your targets have done to deserve death. I'm done betting on a group that won't tell me the truth."

Kalon softened, her rage replaced with sadness. One that said she understood. "They're our family, Maeve."

I gripped her shoulder. "You're my family. But I don't know if I believe the Mariposa are anymore."

Kalon nodded. "You're my family too. I'm coming with you."

I let go, shaking my head. "You shouldn't."

She laughed. "Try and stop me."

I smiled. "Fine. I'm going to grab the prince my old wings first, and then we're out of here."

***

Kalon and I went back to my tent. Slowly I stepped closer, peering inside.

"Elyas," I said before looking inside.

My eyes widened. He was nowhere to be found.

Only a piece of paper remained, his perfect handwriting adorning it.

"The queen, my mother, and the kingdom at large believes me dead. It is my duty as a son and as the prince to reassure them. Thank you for everything and stay safe. Elyas."

Kalon handed me her phone. On the news, trending, was Queen Nesryn.

"I am devastated to report to you that my dear son, my one and only son has been kidnapped and murdered," she said, tears filling her eyes as she spoke in front of the castle.

I sighed heavily, handing the phone back to Kalon. "What does that man think he's doing?" I asked, exasperated.

"He's going to get himself killed... for real, that is," Kalon added.

"Yeah. Which is why I have to go in search of him," I said, flexing my back to open my wings.

"Just leave him, Maeve. This is so much effort for just one man," Kalon argued.

I shook my head, not meeting her eyes. "I'm atoning for a lifetime of sins, Kalon."

I took off. My heart lightened slightly when I heard Kalon come flying after me.