Chapter 16

Maeve

The three of us spent three days putting up fliers and spreading the word. We spoke to a news anchor and asked him to cover our arrival, promising him position as the first reporter to get news out on the prince returning. Thanks to the news anchor and our efforts, all of Arcelia knew something big was going down at the castle.

That finished, it was time to perform.

I crossed my arms, appraising Elyas. "Ready to go home?"

He smiled. "More than."

I scoffed. "Don't know why you'd want to go back to that place."

His smile didn't waver as he tilted his head. "There's good people there. People I miss... Don't you miss anyone at the Mariposa?" he asked, his eyes piercing, seeing right through me.

I averted my gaze. I turned towards Kalon, who was collecting her things. "You ready?" I asked, clearing my throat of the lump inside it.

She nodded, putting her bag on.

"Then let's roll out," I glanced over my shoulder. "Try to keep up, Prince."

He laughed.

The three of us took off into the sky, heading up. I was at the head, keeping a cautious eye so as to avoid being caught by the numerous Mariposa flying in the clouds in between. We managed to reach the highest tier without much trouble. As we flew towards the castle, I couldn't help staring in awe at our surroundings.

The cloud piercing skyscrapers glittered in the sunlight. The sky was clear and blue up here, completely free of pollution. Thousands of people flied freely through the city. Never would you guess the horrors this tier held. It was an utter oasis.

We arrived at the castle where thousands upon thousands of people hovered, waiting. I slowed, Elyas and Kalon coming up behind me.

'What now?" he asked quietly, right behind me.

"Up," I said simply.

I propelled up above the crowd, the clouds creating the slightest cover. I stopped once I reached the front steps where the guards frantically fought with the crowd, utterly confused.

I looked at Elyas and Kalon and grinned. "Let's make an introduction they won't soon forget, hm?"

They laughed, looking as eager as I did. Letting my wings withdraw, I fell from the clouds. Kalon and Elyas fell right after me. We landed right in front of the guards. Before they could apprehend us, I whirled on them.

"You will not arrest your prince, will you?!" I shouted at him, so at least a small group of the crowd heard me.

Elyas turned as well. The guards' eyes widened, at a loss, as the small group shared what they heard. Soon there was an uproar from the crowd. Some chanted against him, saying he should've stayed dead. The others chanted joyously for the prince. It was impossible to tell which side was louder. The guards slowly bowed, and Elyas smiled.

His smile was quickly wiped though when the giant doors swung open and the queen stepped through it. Her wings were nearly as large as the eight foot doors in length and width. Her dark silky hair cascaded down one shoulder, going to her hips. Dressed in a red gown, she had the beauty to outdo anyone. And the presence too.

Elyas immediately bowed. After sharing a reluctant look with one another, Kalon and I did as well.

"It can't be-" she whispered.