Chapter 17

Maeve

Despite what I had said to Elyas, going to dinner with the queen still felt like going to the chopping block. Kalon and I walked hand in hand, tightly gripping the other's. The halls were long and felt endless as we neared the dining hall. The castle was beautiful, but felt so cold. It was hard to believe it had birthed a man like Elyas.

We arrived at the dining hall. A round table was set with loads of food and only the nicest cutlery. The cutlery itself was expensive enough to buy a neighborhood of homes. The queen sat waiting, guards ready behind her. The guards sat us down, Elyas closest to the queen, Kalon and I across from him. The queen smiled warmly at us.

"I hope you three have rested! Lord knows you deserve it after everything you've been through."

I nodded. "It's been really nice, we can't thank you enough for your hospitality, Your Majesty."

She shook her head. "But of course! It is the least I can do after you saved my son." She paused, looking at the food that was now being served to us. "Please, dig in. Don't let my jabbering stop you."

I swallowed and slowly reached for a chicken leg. The queen watched my every move with that warm smile of hers. I wanted to check if it was poisoned but instead I took the smallest of bites. Satisfied, the queen went back to talking.

"So how DID you manage to save my son?"

I swallowed, glancing at Kalon. "Kalon and I... attend a school for fighting. We were in the neighborhood when Elyas was fighting to be free from his captors," I managed to get out.

She turned her attention to Elyas. "Oh son, you must've been so frightened. How did they ever get ahold of you?"

It was his turn in the interrogation light. But his lie came a lot quicker and smoother than mine. "I took a trip to the lower tier to visit an orphanage. You know they hate me down there. They cornered me in some back alley."

She visibly winced, flinching away. "How frightful. Well, I am glad you three are safe now." She looked at me and Kalon. "You two sure are lovely. Why are you learning to fight?"

My jaw clenched. "The lower tier is dangerous to live in. We learn to fight in order to protect ourselves."

The queen tilted her head. "Do you have families?"

If I say no, it would send the message there was no one to miss us if we were gone.

"Yes. We both have families in the lower tier. They know what has happened and that we're safe."

She nodded. "Oh, good. It's good to hear that. You're welcome to stay as long as you like, though I'm sure your families miss you terribly."

I nodded. "Thank you, Your Majesty. We appreciate that."

Kalon was silent the whole time. She hardly touched her food, and she didn't look at the queen once. Her hands were in fists. I knew it must've been a lot harder pretending for her.

The rest of dinner was easier, just very casual conversation, mostly between Elyas and the queen. As the servants picked up our dishes, the queen spoke to Elyas:

"Will you be a dear and fetch me my robe?"

He nodded at once, jumping to his feet and leaving.

As soon as he was gone, she turned on us, her smile now laced with malice. "I know who you two are. I know the only FAMILY you have are hunting you down as we speak. Thank you for saving my son, but I cannot promise your protection from the Mariposa."

Kalon and I froze, our blood ran cold. It wasn't spoken like a threat, but we knew nonetheless.

"We understand, Your Majesty," I said slowly.

We understood that we are NOT friends.

***

Azriel

I was in the lions' den.

And I only had myself to blame. This is what happens when you let yourself get attached.

Get vulnerable.

And I was about to pay sorely for that mistake. She stood before me, sword in her hands. I kneeled before her, my head lowered.

"Do you KNOW who just showed up on my doorstep?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," I said quietly.

She leaned down, forcing me to look in her blazing eyes. "HOW is that possible if he's dead?! Was that a ghost I saw or did you have the stupidity to lie to the queen?!"

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, Your Majesty, I was led to believe-"

Before I could finish, she swung the sword, the flat part, at my head hard enough to knock me to the ground.

"I don't CARE what you believed! The point is that you have failed me time and time again, all for this... Veralian! I ought to kill you for treason!" she yelled, taking another swing at me, this time cutting a gash on the top of my head.

I screamed in pain, clutching my head. "It's a mistake I won't make again, Your Majesty. My loyalty is only to you!"

She took a swift kick to my chest, knocking me over. She held her sword over my heart, the heart that raced with fear.

"Please, Your Majesty! Give me another chance. I'll kill all three of them, you have my word."

"Your word means NOTHING to me anymore."

She did spare my life that night.

But not my arm.