Chapter 9

Maeve

Kalon managed to dress me to the nines. She dressed me in a floor length purple gown that draped over my body, with a dipping neckline and it was backless so it showed some skin. Paired with it was a necklace that served as a button that when pressed would cloak my wings in invisibility. I wore my blonde wig, curled.

I stared at myself in the mirror, utterly conflicted. Kalon was grinning from ear to ear beside me, proud of her work.

"How am I supposed to fight in this?!"

Kalon's smile vanished and she shook her head in disappointment. "You'll figure it out. If you're any good at assassinations, there won't BE a fight."

I chewed on my lip, seeing her point but frustrated I didn't have another argument. Just then, my earpiece chimed.

"It's time to roll out, Maeve," Azriel's voice said into my ear.

I nodded. "Yes sir." Pushing my nerves down and locking them up, I headed towards the castle.

The castle broke through almost to space. Towering pillars used the clouds as their foundation. The entire building was made out of meteorite that was caught as it fell through the sky. That meteorite was harvested and used for every building in Arcelia, but only the finest parts were used on the castle. The obsidian-colored rock walls glistened in the sunlight with hues of purple and blue. Where shadows fell over the castle, the walls were an inky black, adding a fitting sense of foreboding to the castle. Clouds enveloped the towers, embracing them in their dew. It was the greatest feat of architecture Arcelia was likely to ever see. Standing at the doors was two guards, as nobles showed them their ID and invitations and were let in. I showed them the ones made for me by the Mariposa. I always wondered how they did that and got away with it.

Now it donned on me that if it is true they work for the monarchy, they were probably MADE for them. My stomach turned at the thought as the guards allowed me in.

My throat closed up as I looked around. Hundreds of people congregated in the ballroom; dining, gossiping, dancing. On the wall was a towering organ that music poured out of, wrapping the huge room in its sound. All of it was so overwhelmingly intimidating that I didn't even know where to start.

"What do I do, Azriel?" I whispered, frozen in place.

Azriel scoffed through the wire. "It's a gala, Maeve. Dance. Chat. Eat and dine. Get acquainted with your environment."

I swallowed, forcing myself to take slow steps. I headed towards the dining area, grabbing a single cupcake. I took a bite and forced myself to swallow.

"First time?" someone's voice said way too closely.

I nearly jumped out of my skin. I whirled around on my heel, stopping mid chew. Standing a foot away from me was the prince I had met twice before.

***

Elyas

My eyes widened when she looked at me. I had approached her because she was one of the few who looked nervous in this building of egotistical assholes. Looking at her now, it was clear why.

It was May. And she didn't belong here.

"May," I said, my jaw clenched. She quickly finished chewing, looking like a deer in headlights.

"Prince Elyas. We met in the closet," she said, curtseying.

I nearly growled. "Save it." I grabbed her wrist, yanking her away from the crowd. "What are you up to? Why are you here? And how?" I fired at her, still gripping her wrist tight enough to cause pain.