Chapter 34

Elyas

The image was burnt into my very retinas. It remained at the forefront of my mind as I twisted and turned in my room. I was planning on getting some shut eye before talking to Maeve, but sleep was escaping my grasp entirely.

Sighing heavily, I sat up, raking my hand through my locs. I lifted my head, looking out the window across from my bed. The night sky stared back at me, the storm casting brilliant sparks of light that periodically brightened the entire sky. At first that effect took getting used to, but at some point, it became calming. Tonight however, it just added to my restlessness.

Standing to my feet, I slowly and quietly left my room, entering the empty hallway. Empty except for the ten guards stationed. The Mariposa were lethal and could show up at any point. I wondered faintly why they hadn't already shown up.

Unable to ignore my instinct, I started my way towards Maeve's room. I reached her room and clenched my fists. Now that I was here, I had no clue what my plan was. I hadn't thought that far, all I knew was I needed to talk to her, to see her. Should I knock? She was likely asleep. Possibly dreaming of another, taller, dark handsome man. The thought made me wince despite the ridiculousness of it. I had no reason to feel this way about her and that man.

I slowly reached out my hand to touch the doorknob, willing my trembling hand to still. Before I could open the door though, it swung open and I nearly jumped out of my skin. Maeve stood before me, staring at me. She didn't look surprised to see me at all, merely glaring up at me with half lidded eyes that were ringed by dark circles.

I didn't get a chance to appraise anymore so as she swiftly slammed the door shut in my face.

Rapping gently but firmly on the door, I whisper shouted through the door. "Come on Maeve, I just want to talk. I want to make amends, that is all."

"Make amends with my ass," came her reply.

I bit back a cheeky reply, knowing how thin the ice I tread on was. "Just give me ten minutes."

"Go away, Elyas."

My heart tugged at the way she spat my name like a swear. "Five minutes."

"Get. Lost."

I sighed heavily. If you want to talk to an assassin, you must be the assassin. Leaving her door, I trotted down the hallway, nodding awkwardly at the guards as I passed them. They only gave me pitying looks in return. I left the building, flying until I found the window to her room. I flipped the dagger on my wrist gun, wedging it between the glass and the frame. Wiggling gently, I managed to pry it open enough to slip myself through.

"What the heck, Elyas?!" Maeve shouted as I now stood before her.

I couldn't help but grin to myself, plumb proud of myself for my accomplishment. "I'm simply learning from the best."

Her glare hardened as she stomped closer. I stumbled back slightly, intimidated by the sharpness in her gaze. "Take another note from me then and leave before I kill you. Assassins don't take lightly to being trespassed upon."

I rolled my eyes, growing frustrated with her stubbornness. "Maeve, would you just listen for one second? Please?"

She scoffed, stepping closer once more. She shoved my chest as she spoke, hard enough to make me stumble. "I don't owe you a second. I don't owe you anything."

I grabbed her sleeve, yanking her closer before she could push me away. Grasping her face, I held her tight. Her cheeks plumped at my grasp, cute in any other scenario.