Chapter 31

Maeve

The announcement that I would be helping Elyas lead did wonders for the opinions of our makeshift army. It seemed to quell the fears of the ones reluctant to have a royal lead them, just as Elyas had predicted.

I would never admit he was right out loud though.

The next day, Elyas and I made our way to visit Ezekiel in the med clinic. Ezekiel was sitting up in bed and he looked like he was already recovering from their duel. There were bandages scattered across him, but it was clear the damage wouldn't take too long to restore itself.

He smiled slightly at the sight of me, but it immediately dropped upon Elyas entering. I couldn't help the chuckle that bubbled up in my chest at the subtle glare Ezekiel shot at Elyas.

Elyas walked up to his bed, all smiles and charm. "Hey, if it isn't the speed demon. You sure did make me eat my words in that duel yesterday."

Ezekiel's gaze narrowed as he appraised him. "Yeah, next time you'll be eating clouds."

Elyas didn't let the comment bristle him, at least not outwardly, simply chuckling. "I believe it. I'm really glad to be leading an army that has you as a part of it. It's truly an honor."

Ezekiel averted his gaze, his jaw set. Elyas was drowning, I could see it. Sighing, I decided to help the poor man. I nudged him with my shoe. He cleared his throat, gaining Ezekiel's attention only enough to get a sideways glance.

"I also wanted to say that I'm sorry for how I dealt with that fight. You were so good at fighting that I got a little desperate. But it was cheap to just turn it into a punching match."

Ezekiel rolled his eyes. "I'm not chuffed at the way in which you won, Princess. You weren't fast enough or smart enough so you did what you could. How do you think us Veralians survived at that fucking factory?"

Elyas' eyes widened, mirrored by my own shocked expression. Ezekiel noticed that we were taken aback and let out a short laugh. "Y'all really thought I was sitting here brooding because of the way you won the fight? Like a child screaming 'you cheated!' ?"

Elyas smoothed his expression over, crossing his arms over his chest. "Well it seems like you're brooding over something."

Ezekiel swallowed, glancing at me. We shared a long, tense gaze where he seemed to be considering something. Finally, he shrugged, looking at Elyas with a deadpanned expression.

"If you really care to know, I simply don't like you. Don't trust you. Don't really respect you. If you get us out of this situation, I will never bow to you as a king. That's the long and short of it," he said with a blunt tone that made it clear there was no changing his mind.

I winced at the coldness filling in the room and watched Elyas carefully for how he would respond. His jaw worked and his expression was solemn, but reserved and hard to read. Finally, he nodded slightly.

"I understand. I respect that. I will do my best to change your opinion of me, but I respect that it may never improve. Thank you for being so honest with me," Elyas said, his voice measured.

I stepped forward, lightly placing my hand on his elbow. I found that under all of his bravado, his arm was tense where I touched it. He looked at me, his expression keeping its guard up.

"Why don't you go work with our army? They're training right now in the gym."

He nodded, pausing to bid Ezekiel a goodbye. As soon as he was out of the room, I turned back to Ezekiel, who was now looking at me with a more open and curious gaze.

"Yes?" I said, addressing his silent question.

"So are y'all mates or somethin?"

My face reddened slightly and I shook my head. "Merely partners. Perhaps some would see us as friends."

Ezekiel crossed his arms, his head tilting. "Why?" he asked, his tone cold.

I furrowed my brows at the vague question. "What do you mean, why?"

Ezekiel outright laughed. "Are you kidding? The man is a part of the family that tortured us Veralians. He's as corrupt as his lineage and he will lead us straight into ruin."

I bristled at his words. Slowly, I sat down at the end of his bed. Bracing my hands on the bed on either side of him, I leaned close. Accepting my silent challenge, he straightened even more so, leaning towards me.

"I was born a Veralian, sure, but for all intents and purposes I was part of a family that served the queen. I was led to believe we were rebels, but it turns out we were killing and pillaging many you might've called allies. Does that make me an enemy?" I challenged, my voice low.

He arched one brow, slightly surprised by what I said but not fully perturbed. "That's different. You had no way of knowing that your people were doing that."

I tilted my head, grinning. "Don't you think it's possible that's the same case with Elyas?"

Silence settled between us as he considered my words, his eyes narrowing. He leaned back onto his pillow, still staring at me with a slightly defiant edge to his face.

"Or. He's a master manipulator who has managed to convince you that he's an innocent, ignorant lamb."

I shrugged. "Perhaps. In which case, I will lead right aside him so I can watch his every move... a position, by the way, that was entirely his idea."

Ezekiel let out a sharp laugh, reclining his arms behind his head. "Why do you care so much what I think of this man?"

I didn't have an immediate answer. I wasn't entirely sure why his dismay with Elyas bothered me, but it did. But I wasn't helping my case by not giving a straightforward answer.

"Elyas and I talked. We are going to need several generals. We want you to be the general of the Veralian sect. Thus, you would be working with Elyas, even if only slightly."

He searched my eyes, wariness playing strongly in his features. "I accept your offer. But I continue to distrust that man you call a partner. You have not convinced me."

I nodded, giving up on that obviously losing battle. "Fine, thank you."

I started to stand and leave when he shot his hand out to stop me, grasping my wrist. I halted, looking down at him. His head was tilted, that sly smile on his face.

"However, I highly look forward to working with you, Maeve."

I swallowed, pulling my arm free from his grasp, suddenly feeling antsy under his attention. "Likewise," I said quietly, before briskly walking out of the gradually stifling room.