Chapter 32

Elyas

Preparations for our army were going swiftly and I was dizzy from the speed at which we moved. We knew time was of the essence, and we didn't have much of it. Any day, the Mariposa could come storming through the clouds that protected our headquarters.

We managed to find some storm bearing wings that would allow us to traverse through the storm more efficiently. Kalon found them in the cellars of the headquarters, abandoned. Once we had those wings, we were able to gather more supplies from Arcelia on a couple of very risky stealth missions.

We formed several groups in our army. In charge of any close range, frontline battles was Augustine. Harrow led a group that would be on the second line of defense. Our far range was led by Ezekiel.

Who still seemed to hate me.

However, I did manage to win over the majority of our army's trust. At least that's what it seemed like, and I convinced myself it was true.

Today we trained together in the gym. I trained with Harrow, Kalon and Maeve. I was utterly astounded at the man that was Harrow. He was the most well-rounded soldier I had ever met, exceeding in speed, strength and strategy.

After several hours, we stopped for a break, going to the break hall. I sat next to Harrow, sending him a grin as he bit into a sandwich.

"You really impressed me at the gym. All of the Mariposa do, but you especially."

Harrow choked slightly on his sandwich in surprise, clearing his throat. He swallowed and looked at me. Seeing that I wasn't just pulling his chain, he smiled.

"Thank you. It's likely because I am a part of the Palos Verdes. We are the most elite sect of the Mariposa. We were reserved for only the most dangerous and difficult missions."

I nodded slowly. "Any examples you can provide?" I asked, curiosity getting the best of me.

Harrow hesitated, sharing a look with Maeve across the table. She shrugged.

I interjected, realizing how uncomfortable he seemed. "You don't have to, of course. I was just curious."

Harrow sighed, his gaze softening. "I saw you at Veralis."

My eyes widened and it was my turn to gulp. "Yeah?"

He nodded. "You took Maeve as your hostage. I was the one who yelled not to fire.... I was also the reason she was there."

"Harrow, you know that was not your fault," Maeve interjected, reaching her hand over to hold his.

He shook his head, withdrawing his hand. "No, Maeve. You asked, but I should've declined. I never should've let you put yourself in that much danger."

She tilted her head. "If you hadn't let me go though, I may have never ended up here. You may never have. We never would have fought back."

Harrow shrugged. "Fighting back could end in our death. There will be blood on my hands if that happens, whether I end up dead or alive." He paused, looking at me. "I thought for sure that when you took her into the factory, she'd never come back out. Thank you for sparing her at that time. I know many of us here are wary of you, but for what it counts, you have my trust."

I smiled, my heart warming at his sincere words. "I'm really glad to hear that, especially from such a fine soldier." I paused, appraising him. Harrow, despite being such a strong and brave soldier, had the gentlest of eyes. I could tell why Kalon and Maeve had chosen to adopt him as their honorary brother. "You remind me of an old friend of mine. He was strong, and he was brave. Driven and a little headstrong. But gentle."